Repairing Ceiling - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2008, 05:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Repairing ceiling

Hi,

I recently moved into an apartment where there was a dropdown ceiling in the bedroom. I asked the landlord if I could take it down, and she said she had no problem with it, but she wasn't sure what was underneath. the ceiling underneath looked OK when i took down one of the panels, but after removing a couple others I discovered a large hole in the ceiling, which looked to be due from a water leak in the past. The ceiling itself is concrete and it's covered with some thin material. I think it's just plaster, but it may be some sort of board. It's 1/8th of an inch thick.

I've attached some photos. the first three are of the ceiling, and the last three are a piece of the ceiling that had fallen off.

I'm wondering if I could just remove all of the loose ceiling pieces, apply some plaster to the concrete, sand it down, and then paint it? or is there some other way I should go about it?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Repairing ceiling-dsc00467.jpg   Repairing ceiling-dsc00468.jpg   Repairing ceiling-dsc00471.jpg   Repairing ceiling-dsc00472.jpg   Repairing ceiling-dsc00473.jpg  

Repairing ceiling-dsc00474.jpg  

Advertisement

Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Repairing ceiling

Arnold, Please don't take this wrong, but I lived in a apt. for years Take lots of photos then tell the landlord you want nothing to do with the repairs! If you mess with it and it falls down who do you think the landlord is going to go after.......... thats right you! BTW she knew what was wrong up there!

Advertisement

1610 CUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 08:59 PM   #3

Repairing ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1610 CUB View Post
Arnold, Please don't take this wrong, but I lived in a apt. for years Take lots of photos then tell the landlord you want nothing to do with the repairs! If you mess with it and it falls down who do you think the landlord is going to go after.......... thats right you! BTW she knew what was wrong up there!
The landlord won't take care of the repairs because the drop down ceiling works fine as a ceiling, only it's butt ugly. And I can't install my ceiling fan into it. I'd rather try to repair it myself I think. It wouldn't be that likely that it would fall down again, would it?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 342

Repairing ceiling

Arnold, It can be done. 1) Remove all falling skim coat. 2) Prime area with a good primer (Sherwin Williams bonding primer.) 3) Skim area that was removed. 4) Sand high edges. 5) Skim entire ceiling. 6) Sand. 7) Ready for texure or prime and paint.

Chekout one of my simular jobs. Condo Drop Ceiling transformed into a Lighted Trey Ceiling

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #5

Repairing ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir MixAlot View Post
Arnold, It can be done. 1) Remove all falling skim coat. 2) Prime area with a good primer (Sherwin Williams bonding primer.) 3) Skim area that was removed. 4) Sand high edges. 5) Skim entire ceiling. 6) Sand. 7) Ready for texture or prime and paint.

Checkout one of my similar jobs. Condo Drop Ceiling transformed into a Lighted Trey Ceiling

Thanks! Any kind of mud work better than others for skimming the ceiling? Easy sand 90?
Old 09-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Repairing ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
The landlord won't take care of the repairs because the drop down ceiling works fine as a ceiling, only it's butt ugly. And I can't install my ceiling fan into it. I'd rather try to repair it myself I think. It wouldn't be that likely that it would fall down again, would it?
Its possible to hang a ceiling fan in a room with a 'T bar' ceiling!
The box just needs to be supported from the concrete roof!
The 'T bar' ceiling can be spruced up.
Remove the tiles and give the track a paint job.
Then, paint the tiles, using a roller, then place them back in place.
If any tiles are broken, new ones can be purchased and painted to match the paint job on the old tiles.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #7

Repairing ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildie View Post
Its possible to hang a ceiling fan in a room with a 'T bar' ceiling!
The box just needs to be supported from the concrete roof!
The 'T bar' ceiling can be spruced up.
Remove the tiles and give the track a paint job.
Then, paint the tiles, using a roller, then place them back in place.
If any tiles are broken, new ones can be purchased and painted to match the paint job on the old tiles.
still, i'd prefer to be rid of the entire thing. just think it'd look so much nicer without the dropdown.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 342

Repairing ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
Thanks! Any kind of mud work better than others for skimming the ceiling? Easy sand 90?
Easy sand 20, 45, or 90 will work just fine.

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Repairing ceiling

I may be wrong, but it appears to me that the original ceiling was what I would call a 'parge'. I have parged vertical concrete walls and found that its not easy. I felt that parging was a job that should be done by a pro.
If in fact, it is a parge, it won't be an easy job for an amateur.
If you must refinish th original ceiling, I would suggest that you would fasten drywall up there and then finish this!
Thats my take on it anyway!

Advertisement

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling repair large hole