Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM   #1

Share |
Repair of fabricated metal chimney/flue

My 30 year old house has wood around the flue instead of brick. The "wooden chimney" is rotting. The house sits under several oak trees. Can the rotting "wooden chimney" be removed above the roof? I'm not sure the rot is just on the chimney. Rot may have moved down . . . .Should I take apart "chimney" and go from there?
I'm not keen on climbing ladders.

momthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:14 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by momthang View Post
My 30 year old house has wood around the flue instead of brick. The "wooden chimney" is rotting. The house sits under several oak trees. Can the rotting "wooden chimney" be removed above the roof? I'm not sure the rot is just on the chimney. Rot may have moved down . . . .Should I take apart "chimney" and go from there?
I'm not keen on climbing ladders.
Job like this should be done with scaffolding, not by working off a ladder.
A 'cherry picker' would be another option. Cherry pickers are easy to run and may be rented from industrial rental outlets.

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the suggestions of scaffolding and cherry pickers. I'll try the scaffolding.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by momthang View Post
Thanks for the suggestions of scaffolding and cherry pickers. I'll try the scaffolding.
Scaffolding isn't as much fun!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #5

If it was one of the houses I built in the late '70's, the framing may go down to the second floor. I attached the chase, of T1-11 plywood to 18' studs on three sides, to get the required clearance over the roof surface with the metal chimney, to the exterior wall siding. Then jacked the whole thing upright, with the Fireplace cantilever floor stopping it from going too far. Then set the roof, built the rake chase wall on the trussed, sheathed roof. Hopefully, only the siding needs replacing....
Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:42 PM   #6

The siding on the chimney definately needs repairs. But being just a homeowner, I don't understand some of your terminology. Can you enlighten me.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:23 PM   #7

Is the damaged wood plywood, made to look like vertical boards? Where is it damaged?

Be safe, G
Old 09-03-2009, 09:05 PM   #8

No plywood.
The damage is to the cedar siding on the chimney. It's hard to tell exactly how much is rotten. The bottom two boards are practicly gone. On the side all of the pieces have slid off horizontal. The chimney doesn't get much sun, and as wet as it has been, the damage has excelerated. If you need I'll go up there and get some pics.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #9

No, I believe you. Cedar has to have wind or sun to dry. Hopefully there is some builder's paper behind it, not osb or plywood. If in an area where it is unseen, I would replace with some cementious horizontal boards. Check behind it for rotten framing material.
Be safe, G
Old 09-05-2009, 12:08 AM   #10

Sounds like a good idea. I think there's builders paper behind it. Maybe the weather will be good and I can get up there to work on it. Have a great holiday.

Tags
wooden chimney repair