Renovating A Small Kitchen & Bathroom. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Renovating a small kitchen & bathroom.

Greetings everyone,

Found a few renovation-related forums, decided to sign-up for DIY chatroom as it looked most active. Glad I found it, so I can finally get some insight for my little project ahead.

First things first, I am a total monkey when it comes to any kind of renovation work. However, my need is based on the fact that my girlfriend and I found an amazing (location-wise) rental unit that we want to move in. It is impeccably priced, but it is in poor condition. We made some quick calculations that if we were to invest something in renovating it and stay even for 1 year, we'd still be paying under the market price for the space over this term. Certainly will be making a generous gift to the landlord, but we are focused on our own objectives right now and if we really want to be in this location, we are ready to do what's necessary.

Attached are the pictures of the kitchen and the bathroom we want refreshed (excuse me for the quality - my gf isn't the best photographer, but it gives an idea). The space is small, but it is functional and is all that we need.

Here is what I wanted to do:

KITCHEN:
A1. New kitchen cabinets
A2. New kitchen floor
A3. New paint

BATHROOM:
B1. New tile (wall & floor)
B2. New toilet & sink
B3. New paint

I am not worried about A3 and B3 because it represents a minor expense.
I am equally not worried about B2 because it depends on what we pick in the store.

What I am worried about is: Cabinets, Floor & Tile.

Could someone give me a rough estimate on what it would cost in materials & labor to have those things done? Including installation cost of the new toilet and sink.

Assume very basic quality of materials used. The objective is to just make the space feel clean and fresh.

Thank you so much for any help, ideas, direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Renovating a small kitchen & bathroom.-bathroom-reno-1.jpg   Renovating a small kitchen & bathroom.-kitchen-reno-1.jpg   Renovating a small kitchen & bathroom.-kitchen-reno-2.jpg   Renovating a small kitchen & bathroom.-kitchen-reno-3.jpg  

Advertisement

cricom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Just noticed the "How much will it cost?" sticky and realized that I just digged myself a little grave, didn't I?

Damn... probably no chance to even get an idea now. Guess will have someone local visit the space.

Advertisement

cricom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Because you are such a polite Canadian, we will overlook your faux pas.

Check out IKEA for instant kitchen
creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,020

#1, if you are renting this place, what does your landlord think of this idea?
#2, get #1 in writing. Doing anything like this without permission can bite you in the butt.

Yeah, your best bet is to check locally. FWIW, kitchens really add up quickly. They are the single most expensive room to renovate.
Plus the fact they never go as planned. Something unexpected and expensive will show up during demo.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blondesense For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-25-2013)
Old 03-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,716

labor is expensive(and for good reason). hence this forum. try to learn how to do it yourself, perhaps your landlord can advise/help.
then you can do it reasonably inexpensively.

Last edited by Fix'n it; 03-24-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: to add
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,694

As stated I would not touch anything with out the land lords approval in writing. And the reason pricing question are frowned on is because it varies so much from different locales. And it would be hard to give even a good ballpark from a few pics. The best thing to do is get a couple local contractors in for an estimate. Most will not charge for estimate but some do be sure to ask. If the estimates are pretty close then you know that is about what it will cost you. Hope this helps

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote