Removing Ugly Brown Stains On Stucco - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Removing ugly brown stains on stucco

On the front of my townhouse, right where the siding meets the stucco above the garage, there are UGLY brown stains. I'm not sure what's causing this, perhaps some nails beneath the sding are rusting and the rust is "dripping" or propagating onto the stucco. How do I remove these stains? I think I need something stronger than the "over the counter" stuff HD sells. Will some sort of acid wash take it off? It's a real eyesore to say the least.

edit: maybe the stains are from the pressure-treated sill plate? Or just the wood itself?

Does pressure-washing work or will this take the stucco itself right off?

Advertisement

Last edited by Plasmech; 04-06-2008 at 06:01 PM.
Plasmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 02:50 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Removing ugly brown stains on stucco

I would find out what's causing the rust stains first. Deal with the causes before the effects.
Is this foam backed stucco or traditional wire lath on older houses?
Can you post a picture? Pressure treated wood, in my experience, doesn't bleed rust colored material. If it's at the sill area, there are bolts that hold the sill plates to the foundation, but they should be hot dipped galvanized for the old treated lumber.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote