Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #1

Share |

removing tile

Hi,

The house I bought has tiles on the wall in the kitchen behind the sink and I want to remove them and have just the regular wall instead. How do I make it look as clean as a regular wall?

(I am pretty new at these home projects)

npqster

npqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:17 AM   #2

removing tile

That depends on the tile adhesive and how well adhered the tile is. Some may simply pop off with a gentle pry with a screwdriver, some may pull off pieces of drywall. If it was a really good job, you may have to tear out all the drywall. If you are lucky and have the first two, patch over the dings with drywall mud, sand lightly and paint. Wiping carefully with a damp sponge will often smooth out the dry mud and keeps the dust to almost nothing. If you have to replace the drywall, then you have a fresh new pallet.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #3
DIY staff

removing tile

Bill said that very nicely.--Mike---
Old 02-22-2011, 10:31 AM   #4

removing tile

thanks but I forgot to mention it's not drywall
it's lath and plaster from this original 1924 San Francisco house
npqster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #5

removing tile

Tile is set in thin-set mortar, which dries very hard and is difficult to remove completely and cleanly. Tile is a great floor and wall covering for all areas of the home. If a tile in an installation has broken, you could be risking water damage below the tile. There are many different types of tile removal equipment that work on both ceramic tile and linoleum tile. Broken tiles can also make the entire room look old, or out of date.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Tileguy

removing tile

WOW!!!

BH,
The thing to do is to try and pry off a few tiles using a 3-4" putty knife and a hammer and see what you are up against. DON'T use a screwdriver, that could cause needless damage. Not all tile gets installed with thinset mortar. If you are careful you can proably remove the tile with no damage to the substrate. If you should damage the wall it can be fixed easily enough. I doubt you'll be experiencing any water damage, that idea is pretty far-fetched.

Sample a few tiles and get back to us.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kitchen, removing, tile, wall