DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing Subfloor for Wall Access

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Gary in WA 
#1 ·
I need to route some wires for wall mounting a flat screen TV, the problem is I have to cross 3 bays in the wall with no attic access because I am running these wires on the 1st floor of a 2 story house.

I was thinking that I might be able to remove the subfloor on the second story to gain access to the lower story wall.

Can you guys tell me if this will work? It is on an exterior wall, the floor joists are standard I beams.

My fear was after I remove the subfloor The I beams may still block me from getting into the lower wall with a tape to pull the wires up and back down.

#2 ·
It's a lot of work but possible.

You shouldnt have any issues removing the subfloor and running your wires. Should you encounter something that hinders you from routing the wires just put the piece of subfloor back. Be sure to add blocking where necessary as most subfloor is tongue and groove and will be spongy if you dont add blocking

#6 ·
So the floor under the t.v. is concrete? If the base is tall enough, you can drill notches in the stud bottoms, run wires, install metal plates, re-install base. If it is glued, (required by manufacturer) you will probably ruin it on removal. Cut sub floor next to the I- joists, install 2x support boards with screws or nails from a gun.(screws won't vibrate and pop fasteners in the ceiling below) The joists have holes that remove with a tap. Screw flooring back on. Be safe, GBAR

#7 ·
Yes the bottom floor is concrete.

Let me make sure I understand your idea. I take off the baseboard on the second floor, cut the sheetrock so I can see the studs, run the wires up to the second floor, notch the studs for the wires then run them back into the bay I need them in? Then replace the baseboards.

I didnt think of that at all. I think I like it though. This could save me alot of work.

On a load bearing exterior wall I THINK i remember that I can notch them up to 1/4" deep. Is that correct?

What are the metal plates you are talking about?

#8 ·
Actually I meant to go behind the wall base at the concrete floor. The base has to be taller than the 1-1/2" of the wall's bottom plate. Wouldn't do any good to do from 2nd floor, still have to drill twice in the top of the wall below.

Called nail plates: http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/ns-nsp-pspnz.asp Be safe, GBAR

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.