DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing spray paint from tools

6K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  furiousstyles 
#1 ·
Home depot screw up my tool and because of there " idiot " worker told me that this spray paint will work metal tools

here a piece of free advice : dont shop at this home depot " but i will not tell which store " is best that dont know but they know who they are !

anyway.....................so now i want to strip the paint off

most of my tool are metal with 2 hammer with wodden handle

i try " paint thinner " but is doesn't work so any suggestion

and also i have some other tool like bits are a little rusted any suggestion to remove it

#6 ·
you didnt meantion that this stuff is lethal and when make contact with the skin is sting

" well i got stink and my tool are DESTORYED by this chemicial it ate them the paint right down to the protecting coating of the paint "

so................what happen last week i call HD Corp and i made another compliant not from the chemicial but the ass**** sold me the wrong paint but overal i came out good " they mail me a $100 GC " and a few day ago i got a new Husky tool set and i'm happy:) but sad:( because i have that other tool set for 8yrs and it was my very 1th tool set so this make this my 2nd tool set and i going to do nothing " no paint "

thank guy

#8 ·
Harold, Sorry about the sting and your tools. If it will strip paint, it will remove the natural oils from your skin, burn in a cut, and being a remover, will also attack the original paint. Glad you are happy with the gifts you got from the company.

#9 ·
Harold, Sorry about the sting and your tools. If it will strip paint, it will remove the natural oils from your skin, burn in a cut, and being a remover, will also attack the original paint. Glad you are happy with the gifts you got from the company. Your post serves as a constant reminder to ALWAYS explain

#10 ·
Harold, Sorry about the sting and your tools. If it will strip paint, it will remove the natural oils from your skin, burn in a cut, and being a remover, will also attack the original paint. Glad you are happy with the gifts you got from the company. Your post serves as a constant reminder to ALWAYS explain all the things that can happen when giving advice.

#11 ·
OK Terry, we got it!:):thumbsup::)

I never stop being amazed by some people. I wonder if we were all to badger HD repeatedly if we would get a gift certificate also? I could use some new tools and a hundred bucks.:)

Laquer Thinner would have been my first lethal-chemical-of-choice, just for future reference.

#13 ·
The Dykem remover I recommended is mostly aerosolized MEK with some Toluene. I can only imagine what this nut job would have done with that. Used the rest of the can for bathroom air freshener and complained that he's blind now? I take a more Darwinian approach to home improvements. If you got hurt in the process, you didn't deserve that new tile floor or door or whatever.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.