DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Removing/replacing silicone around tub

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  epson 
#1 ·
I am wanting to remove 4-year-old silicone caulking from around my tub to replace it. Tub install and tiling were both inferior, resulting in big 3/4 inch gap at one end and a snug fit at the other end, where the tile meets the tub. Thankfully, the tub was well designed with a double flange that went up well behind the tile. To add insult to injury, they did a crappy job of siliconing, leaving things bumpy and messy. Four years later, I'm getting a little discoloration on the silicone and I really would like to put in new silicone. What is the best way to get the old silicone out of there? Any suggestions as to how I should install the new stuff? What should I use? Removing the tub and retiling not an option at this point, so I just grit my teeth and bear it.

#2 ·
removing the silicone is a job for a razor blade ---rather a tedious job,but that's what works for me.

As to adding new silicone---you need a good quality kitchen and bath silicone---a spray bottle of 'Greased Lightning' or '409' and some paper towels.

Silicone will stick to any clean dry surface----it will not stick to a wet slippery surface---

Remember that.

Cut the tip of the silicone tube to the size of the finished bead that you want.

After applying the caulk you will be spraying the bead with the Greased Lightning---
So start at the lowest point ,in order to keep the spray from running onto areas yet to be done.

Apply the silicone --make sure you didn't leave any voids under the silicone

Quickly spray the bead of caulk with the Greased Lightning----

Spray your hand

Tool the caulk with your finger--remove any excess caulk to your paper towel.

Work quickly---do not allow the caulk to 'skin' over before you spray and tool it.

#3 ·
I just recently re-caulked both mine and my in-laws main bath and used a tool similar to this one:

I used to flat edge to remove all the caulk entirely, every last bit of it. Then I cleaned with a cleaner called De-Solv-It as I prefer to work with the least amount of chemicals I can, and it works really well.

Then I dry as really well as Mike states that silicone will not stick to wet surfaces. Tape off for a clean, professional look; apply the caulk and then follow-up/clean up the beads using my wetted fingertip. allow ~ 24 hrs for it to dry and voila, you're done.

#5 ·
Mike,

Yes it does loosen up most of it if you give it a chance to soak in, about 10-15 mins or so. Just roughen up the surface and you're good to go. I also use it when replacing wax rings on toilets as it does not react with the potential ammonia in there like most chemical cleaners. And it also works pretty well on pipe dope & glues on my work clothes if I spray it on while to stain is fresh. It has a citrus smell so it's not too bad to be around if I make a mess of myself early in the day.:) One thing I despise is showing up to a clients' house looking like I've been rolling around in various compounds from the back of the truck.

Andy.

#7 ·
You can also use goof off professional to remove the caulk from any surface you can think of. It does the job quickly and effectively. Its powerful solvents will destroy the bond between the dried caulk and the tile, tub, wall, ceiling, windows, siding, or sink or floor; wherever you have gotten it without ruining the underlying surface.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.