Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2009, 12:03 AM   #1

Share |

Removing plaster and saving old oak crown molding

Please help!!! my husband and I purchased a chicago bungalow that has not been updated since 1920. We want to put up drywall throughout the house however my husband says we will not be able to reuse the oak molding because the molding will not line up with the new walls. Is this true??? or can we strip the five layers of paint and save the crown molding.

cutesyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 05:40 AM   #2

If you are putting drywall over the old plaster walls, the crown can be reused, but it will need to be trimmed slightly. If you are tearing out the old plaster, then drywalling, it may not fit exactly the same. Plaster is generally a bit thicker than drywall. Either way, I would say it is worth saving.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:30 AM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Sometimes you can remove the plaster but leave the lathe, and end up with the right thickness.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutesyt View Post
Please help!!! my husband and I purchased a chicago bungalow that has not been updated since 1920. We want to put up drywall throughout the house however my husband says we will not be able to reuse the oak molding because the molding will not line up with the new walls. Is this true??? or can we strip the five layers of paint and save the crown molding.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

You mention removing plaster, and then just stripping 5 layers of paint. As it's been suggested, whatever thickness comes off, must go back up for a fit. Just a suggestion, take all the time and care necessary to remove the crown. You want to salvage it in as good a condition as possible. Also make note what was used to fasten, and where alternate places will be to refasten if necessary.

cabinetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #5

I just finished a 100 year old house ( complete reno) I would suggest that if the time and funds are available remove the plaster and lath and install new drywall. If you take the time to square up everything and shim where necessary the rooms will come out like a new house, and then you should be able to reuse the mouldings as they should be just a little long after installing the new surface. This will give you the opportunity to trim the joints making for a fresh tight fit.
joeys509 is offline   Reply With Quote