Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 AM   #1

Share |

removing glued wainscoating

my living room has glued wainscoating. I hate it!! how do i take it off without destroying the walls?

diysteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 PM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diysteph View Post
my living room has glued wainscoating. I hate it!! how do i take it off without destroying the walls?
If it's construction adhesive, or any other kind of hardened adhesive/glue, then you are going to have: destroyed walls.

(If it was caulking of some kind, then you would have a chance at scraping it off and skim-coating over the areas)

However, with hardened adhesives or glue....
I would suggest that you just rip it (wainscotting) off. Then remove the sheetrock with adhesive stuck to it, at 48-1/2" up.

Replace with new sheetrock butted up tight to the existing areas. Tape and Coat.

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 01:19 PM   #3

thanks, i guess i just paint over it.
diysteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 01:42 AM   #4

I wonder if you could try getting it off the same way you take mirrors off walls. That would be using something like a long string of thin wire (sometimes even dental floss works) like picture hanging wire and using it to 'saw' the back of the wood off the wall, from top to bottom through the adhesive. The trick would be finding a way to get the string behind the wainscotting in manageable widths (say 36" or so at a time). Gloves are a good idea if you can do it.

This worked really well for me when removing a very large mirror that had been glued to the wall. It had both a soft type adhesive and a very hard one (guessing one was used to hold while the other cured or something). After I could get most of the glue off with a razor blade and a bit of sanding. The walls remained in much better shape than I expected.

Thinking about doing an entire room, that could be a huge job to undertake and it may be quicker to just rip the stuff off and replace the drywall.
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
I wonder if you could try getting it off the same way you take mirrors off walls....

Thinking about doing an entire room, that could be a huge job to undertake and it may be quicker to just rip the stuff off and replace the drywall.
That last point is "Dead on". ....That would be a tedious and lengthy project.....
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote