Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Removing Door Latch

While remodeling a bathroom, the wife has decided that she'd like all the door latches in the house replaced. The house is 40 yrs old, and these are the originals, so I guess it's justified. I started with a closet latch that was broken, and all the latches seem to be the same. After removing the knobs, I am having trouble getting the latch mechanism out. It doesn't have a retaining plate with screws on the door edge, it's round, and seems to be pressed in. Got it started out, but it doesn't want to come,...seems to be a plastic bushing around it, that is holding it. Anyone seen one of these ?
Malibujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:44 PM   #2

Removing Door Latch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibujim View Post
While remodeling a bathroom, the wife has decided that she'd like all the door latches in the house replaced. The house is 40 yrs old, and these are the originals, so I guess it's justified. I started with a closet latch that was broken, and all the latches seem to be the same. After removing the knobs, I am having trouble getting the latch mechanism out. It doesn't have a retaining plate with screws on the door edge, it's round, and seems to be pressed in. Got it started out, but it doesn't want to come,...seems to be a plastic bushing around it, that is holding it. Anyone seen one of these ?
If the knobs and lock mechanism is removed, just place a screwdriver through the spindle hole and tap it to the front of the door. Once the first 1" is exposed, you should be able to pull it out by hand.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 PM   #3

Removing Door Latch

Nope. It is pushed out far enough that it is just clear of the round hole, but really binds up at this point.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 AM   #4

Removing Door Latch

Keep going, it went in that way and it will come out that way. Try prying out the bushing.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #5

Removing Door Latch

Good job…doorknob has screws on the cover plates; remove those to loosen the old knob. If not, look for a small slot with a metal piece on the side of the handle. Depending on your door, you may need to adjust the backset, the distance between the edge of the door and the center of the doorknob. Most doorknobs can accommodate different backsets. Test the new handle to make sure it turns and locks properly.
Blue Heron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #6

Removing Door Latch

OK, got it. What seemed to be plastic, was actually a metal sleeve, around the latch. It had little barbs on the OD,...meant to go in, but not come out. As it did start to come out with the latch, but then bound up, I had to tap it back in using a screwdriver blade, and then the latch came out. To remove the sleeve, I had to tap it into the 2" hole for the knobs.