Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2010, 01:39 PM   #1

Share |

Removing curtain track in ceiling and repair

Hi

I'm new to these forums so I hope I'm posting this in the right forum.

My problems is that I'm renovating a 1950s flat. The ceiling in the lounge was covered in polystyrene tiles which, when removed, revealed a metal curtain track which had been "sunk in". We've been able to remove the track but underneath, there's a further metal track which can't be removed without extensive ceiling damage which will prove too costly for our budget.

What we need to do is to fill the gap which is about 6ft long and 3-4 cms deep. I'm thinking of filling it layer by layer with standard filler/plaster but I'm worried that it may fall out because of the metal track. Can anyone help please? Thanks very much.

elllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 PM   #2

What is the ceiling constructed from? Plaster? How wide is this space? If it's 1 1/2" deep(4cm) you can screw in a 3/4" board covered with some sheetrock. Tape and compound the entire length. After 2-3 coats, you can repaint the ceiling.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
elllie (04-25-2010)
Old 04-25-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Thanks Ron - the gap is 3 cm wide but as there's a metal strip still embedded, I'm not sure how I could screw into it. It's a plaster ceiling. I'd thought of using a strip of plasterboard (is this the same as sheetrock?) but I'm not sure. I'm worried that whatever i fill it with won't be able to grip due to the metalwork.
elllie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #4

You drill the metal so you can screw up the material. You need the mechanical fasteners to keep it secure. You can probably use self tapping screws to screw the wood up and short drywall screws for the sheetrock or plasterboard.
If you're uncomfortable with that scenario, you can use the proper construction adhesive to hold it in place. You will need to prop it up until the adhesive dries.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote