Removing Battery Acid And Rust Stains From Concrete - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Removing battery acid and rust stains from concrete

I need some help here. I learned the hard way, not to park my electric golf car in our carport on the concrete slab and I charged it there too. While charging, some of the battery acid leaked out and probably first landing on some metal parts, over time, caused rust as well. I tried washing it off with water (hose), this just spread the rust to a larger area (the next section of concrete). I don't want to use Muriatic acid to remove it. I am hoping some experts on this forum can give me some ideas concerning the best way to remove the ugly stains. If I can get them off, I'll then put a seal on the concrete.

Advertisement

Too old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 732

I would use a product you can buy at any Dollar store, Wal-Mart ECT in the cleaning products area.
It's called "The Works". It will kill the rust fast. Put it on scrub it with a stiff brush (wear gloves) then rince it off with water.
Then spread some baking soda on the area and scrub it in then rince it off again.

The baking soda will nutralize the acid.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

I would be careful. You know you have leaked sulfuric acid from the battery. "The Works" forms hydrochloric acid when you add water. I am all for better living through chemistry but....

My Mom was the analytical chemist in the family but I think I would neutralize what is there already before adding another acid?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Thank you for this concern but I should have written that the stains have been there a while, like years, maybe something like three years, We've been wondering what to do about them although it wasn't top priority.
Too old is offline   Reply With Quote