Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2012, 02:16 PM   #1

Share |

Remove an old door knob with no screws

Well I have a door knob that has been driving me crazy. It has no screws. I can unscrew the knob a ways and see a pin that won't come all the way out (see top of picture). The other side has a hole where a screw driver can be inserted to unlock the doorknob, it will also unscrew a ways. It is an interior lock.

Remove an old door knob with no screws-door-knob.jpg

Remove an old door knob with no screws-door-knob-2.jpg

Any ideas?

Thanks
husk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

You push the pin in and the knob comes off. Really need pictures of both sides of the door, not just that one side.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #3

I thank I tried that but I may be wrong. I'll get a picture of the other side as soon as possible. The knob is across town.

Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 02:54 PM   #4

There was someone there and I asked him to send me a picture. This is what the inside of the other side of the door knob looks like.

Remove an old door knob with no screws-door-knob-3.jpg

Thanks
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #5
Retired from the grind

Really need a better picture vs the macro zoom. But yes, if the plate is tight against the door, then there should be a point that you can put in a small nail or small bladed screw driver, or use a allen wrench to take off the knob, then unscrew the plate.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
MarginallyQualified

Dude... get the sawzall already!

In pic #1 there is a small round something on the handle. Screw? Divot? What?
I'm pretty sure that is the key.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TarheelTerp For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (01-22-2012), Workaholic (04-28-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #7

I have thought about the saws-all but I'm trying to save the knob for use on other doors, since this style of knob is on 5 different doors. From what I understand the last person to work on one of these knobs ended up replacing the door.

And yes I think the pin or whatever is the key. It looks like a brass nail. I can push it in and nothing seems to happen or loosen. I can pull it out till it bangs up against the plate that has been unscrewed. Again it doesn't seen to do anything.

I've looked for holes or something I can push in to take the knob off but have found nothing.

The knob is 30+ years odd maybe 50+.

I'm really hoping someone will recognize the style.

Thanks for the interest.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:29 PM   #8

Now that you have the plate off it's covering the thing you need to push to get the the knob off.
Put it back on, there's a rectangler shaped small hole near the knob, just stick a real small flat screwdriver in the hole and the knob just pops off when you pull on it. Then take that plate off again and the screws are visable to remove the rest.
I just removed 15 of them last weekend. And they also came off of a 50 year old house.
If there's paint all over them and the finish is coming off there not worth saving. There only about $7.00 each.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Ravenworks (04-28-2012)
Old 01-22-2012, 03:52 PM   #9
gravity always wins

In picture #1 you'll see a round hole through the threaded portion of the chassis. In the threads there is a hole. In that hole is a spring the runs from the door to the knob. Depress that spring and it will release a retainer. The knob will slide out of the chassis. Looks like an old Sargent 6 Line lock.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 09:23 PM   #10

Husk, if you still read here, please tell me which solution worked for you! I have the SAME EXACT doorknobs on my new house. The house was built in the 50s. The doorknobs are unlike most others. Therefore alot of advice given about removing doorknobs does not apply to these particular knobs. (I have been changing doorknobs and locks for 30+ years.)
The Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #11

I had one of those devils today. It was an exterior door. I couldn't find anything to press in and release. I had a press and release the other day. This bad boy was threaded on both sides. I had to put some large pliers on it to unscrew a collar off both sides, then I ended up prying it apart after about an hour of scratching my head.

I wasn't planning on re-using it. I swear each half weighs 1 1/2 pounds. A lot of brass in it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #12

Yes, I have gotten the collars unscrewed. Tried moving the L-shaped pin up and down, even pulling it out as far as the collar would allow. Tried prying the other side with a screwdriver, still no give anywhere. These doorknobs do have alot of brass in them. Very difficult to remove!
The Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
RFN-4A-LVN

I would cut that thing off and use it as a paper weight.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM   #14

I have some door knobs that come off by pushing the latch in. When you push the latch that sticks out the side of the door in as far as you can it releases the knobs.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #15

I would try the latch trick. My latch came off relatively early in the long and arduous process, so I didn't try it.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote