Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

removable insulation front door?

Even with the storm door closed, there's a lot of cold air coming in from all around the front door, what can I do to stop this air from coming in? We don't use the front door all that much so I am wondering if there is some easy portable or removable option? Thanks.

mikehende is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Frankly, I'd replace the door with a new fiberglass door unit for about $300. It's a pretty quick job, and you'll get a great seal.

Short of that, try adding weather stripping and a new sweep. You don't need insulation as much as you need to stop air infiltration.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:37 AM   #3

I have a sweep on the bottom of the door but it's the other 3 sides which need to be taken care of, thing is, I don't understand how to use the weather stripping since the door will need to be opened at any time?
Old 12-06-2007, 12:01 PM   #4
Woodworker and Contractor

Rewards Points: 150

weather stripping still lets you use the door. Go buy a pack and follow the directions it easy
Kingfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #5

I have 2 types of weather stripping here, Foam [which is out I guess] and other, a tape roll which can only be used to seal the space between 2 surfaces? I don't see how this would work around the 3 sides of the door? Or are you talking about a different type of stripping?
Old 12-06-2007, 03:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehende View Post
I have 2 types of weather stripping here, Foam [which is out I guess] and other, a tape roll which can only be used to seal the space between 2 surfaces? I don't see how this would work around the 3 sides of the door? Or are you talking about a different type of stripping?
Do a search of door weatherstrippiing on the Web and do some reading and get familiar with the options. Then go to a lumber yard or a Big Box store and ask for advice. They will have the products on hand for you to see and ask questions about.
The most effective and long lasting retrofit door weatherstripping is the stop molding with the compression seal that sits against the door. You need to be able to measure, have a saw and use a hammer and nails.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:35 PM   #7

You don't tape the door closed, you tape flat on the inside openings so the tape faces the door rim. The door is still operable although it might stick a little.

Concordseeker is offline   Reply With Quote