Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 PM   #1

Share |

Rehanging a door???

Hey all I removed a door to fix the weather stripping on the bottom as it was falling off. When I put the door back on it didn't really seem to line up. The reaveal on the hinge side at the bottom is pretty much non existent. So I'm looking for some help as to getting the reaveal equal as it should be. The door worked perfectly before I started messing with it
Thanks for your help.

Shane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #2

Rehanging a door???

How did you remove the door?? The usualy method is to remove the pins in the hinges, which should not cause misallignment when reinstalled. Actually removing the hinges can sometimes cause problems, depending on how they were origninally installed. There may have been shims behind them, or even the order of the way the screws were installed can make a difference. Make sure all screws are tight, and that the hinge sits fully in the mortise.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 12:56 PM   #3

Rehanging a door???

Thanks for the reply. I removed the door by unscrewing the hinges from the door. The top and bottom hinges are self closing so I didnt think I could take those apart like a regular hinge. All the hardware is tight. I didnt see any shims but that is probably going to have to be the solution. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Old 06-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #4

Rehanging a door???

Were some of the screws longer then the others? They might have used the longer screws to help align the jambs. When you removed them, the frame shifted.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #5

Rehanging a door???

All the screws were short maybe 3/4's of an inch.
thanks
Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 PM   #6

Rehanging a door???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane1 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I removed the door by unscrewing the hinges from the door. The top and bottom hinges are self closing so I didnt think I could take those apart like a regular hinge. All the hardware is tight. I didnt see any shims but that is probably going to have to be the solution. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Shims are the easiest solution. You can pull the trim off and set the jambs if you want, but if you have space to kick out the door from the jamb, I'd do that.
Unless this is and old door with layers and layers of paint. Then I'd remove all the paint from the doors and jambs.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #7

Rehanging a door???

Did you mix the hinges OR the hinge pins? Wrong pins can make a difference, believe it or not. You didn't mix the hinge leaves, did you?

Gary
Old 06-11-2011, 09:14 AM   #8
STAFF

Rehanging a door???

Be aware that shimming the bottom hinge will cause the latch to be raised just a fraction of an inch and may make a difference in the door latching properly. There is a way to make the margin wider other shimming the bottom hinge. You can place the butt of a nail set or a steel object the same size in the open hing, then gently close the door a little ways, this will bend the hing flanges and give you more margin. Be careful not to spring the hinge too much as you can pull the screws out of the door or jamb.

I know some will not agree with me on this one but it does work and is quick, just don't put too much pressure on the nail set when bending the hinge. Another thing to do if the margin is too wide at the top or bottom of the door is to bend the flanges of the hinge toward the door with a wrench or channel lock pliers. Be sure it is the hing flanges that are installed on the door that is bent not the jamb.

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote