Refinished Deck, Now There Is Standing Water.... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-03-2009, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Refinished deck, now there is standing water....

Hey everyone, I just refinished my deck which has probably not been done for 10 + years, I have only lived here a couple years, and the house is about 20 years old. After power washing, sanding, cleaning and washing some more, the wood almost looked brand new! I then stained the deck using Behr Premium Semi-Transparent Weatherproofing Deck, Fence & Siding Stain. LINK HERE . I used Woodbridge as the color, followed the directions, and everything turned out looking great. However, it has rained a few times now and I noticed that the deck boards seem to hold water now. These pics were taken several hours after it rained, is this normal? Is it going to "hurt" my deck? Is there anything I can do to correct this, or do I just need to get something to "sweep" the water off my deck after it rains? Thanks for all the help! If the pics need to be bigger let me know.

Advertisement

noahd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:32 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

That water used to be soaking into the wood, now it stays on top
If the boards are cupped they could hold water
But it shouldn't really do any harm

Advertisement

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 10:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
That water used to be soaking into the wood, now it stays on top
If the boards are cupped they could hold water
But it shouldn't really do any harm

That is kind of what I thought, thanks for the reply!
noahd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:44 PM   #4

Thank you for starting this thread. I just finished building my deck a month ago using PT. I went to the Depot to buy Behr stain & waterproofing (both on one) and was told to wait atleast a year before staining / waterproofing it. I was going to go with semi-transparent and was planning to use the pre-staining cleaning solution to prepare the deck. I'm thinking of calling Behr tomorrow to see if this information is accurate, but thought to ask the community here. Anyone else had to wait a year? I'm in Toronto and don't want the untreated boards to ruin over the winter & in the snow. Thanks in advance.
bb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 596

If you sealed it now you would just be sealing in all the moisture in the wood and be fighting mold for the life of the deck.
It's not going to do any harm to the deck to wait.
There was other options that could have been used such as "Thompsonized" or kiln dried after treatment.
bb4u (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you sealed it now you would just be sealing in all the moisture in the wood and be fighting mold for the life of the deck.
It's not going to do any harm to the deck to wait.
There was other options that could have been used such as "Thompsonized" or kiln dried after treatment.
Are you referring to Thompson's WaterSeal Clear Waterproofer? Do I need to wait a year for this product, too? Thanks again.
bb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,638

Squeegee

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote