Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Redoing exterior of house...tips?!?

I am redoing the exterior of my house and looking for best ideas...I'm getting new windows and siding but was wondering about a few things.

I want to install 2" foam for R value and typar (wrap) the house....is the foam installed first against the house and then typar it or typar first?

Also I want to "soundproof" as we have a real noisy street and I want to eliminate some of the sound I hear....

I've heard of some people using a product that adsorbs heat...not sure if that is a good idea

Most likely going with vinyl siding or hardiboard

Thanks for your info

hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

there is a current thread here about exterior xps(foam). it is not a good idea. 1" is better.

ROXUL in the walls will kill a lot of noise.

hardiboard, as it is more dense will kill more noise.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:27 PM   #3

If you go Hardie, your code requires a rainscreen; http://www.mtcc1170.com/images/BCRainScreen.pdf

Where in Canada, 2" would be minimum in most places?

Under FB or over; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ting-sheathing

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...d-wall-systems

Gary
Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
there is a current thread here about exterior xps(foam). it is not a good idea. 1" is better.

ROXUL in the walls will kill a lot of noise.

hardiboard, as it is more dense will kill more noise.
I couldnt find the thread on exterior faoom being a bad idea...cant see why it would be a bad idea?

Roxul in walls - are youu saying opening exterior walls - rmove batt insulation and install roxul? I'm not sure what you mean....the inside of the house is done...

Thanks
hellothere123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellothere123 View Post
I am redoing the exterior of my house
Also I want to "soundproof" as we have a real noisy street and I want to eliminate some of the sound I hear....
You won't have much luck increasing the sound isolation from exterior to interior unless you do two things:

1. Get insulated double-hung windows.
2. Build the interior walls using deep studs, multiple layers of gypsum board , and resilient isolation clips.

If you're not touching the interior, you won't be able to make any meaningful change in sound isolation.
JKeefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
I couldnt find the thread on exterior faoom being a bad idea...cant see why it would be a bad idea?

Roxul in walls - are youu saying opening exterior walls - rmove batt insulation and install roxul? I'm not sure what you mean....the inside of the house is done...

Thanks
i'm not saying exterior foam is bad. i am actually going to do it myself. i was saying , that those here, are saying that 2" is bad.

roxul is much more dense than FG. so it deadens sound better. but your inside walls are done, and so is this idea.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM   #7

Quote:
here is the thread. my "bad" rating was a bit overboard.
2" foamboard insulation before siding
Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 34

I guess it could be done but I just can no imagine having to do a whole house with 2" foam.
#1, It's over $30.00 a sheet plus the cost of the tape. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Owens-Cor...45W/100320352#
#2, All the windows and doors are going to be effected. To do it right the windows would have to be pulled and redone or there going to be recessed.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #9

You could leave the windows recessed (innie) or move them out (outie-pp. 1-10). If thicker than 2" FB, the window may not get enough room air circulation and have condensation wetting problems inside.... pp. 10+ for "innie"; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Br40fQ&cad=rja Though you would want to detail a new WRB and window rough opening wrap flashing... require resetting window anyway. Any vapor barrier poly at drywall?

Isn't Canada Code 1-1/2" thick, minimum?

Gary

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-16-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote