Recurring Wet, Damp Spots In My Living Room. - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

recurring wet, damp spots in my living room.

We just moved into an older home (built in 1976) a month ago. i started noticing some damp spots a week ago in the living room on our first floor in the carpet. They never really get dry. our house is built on a slab foundation with wood framing and brick exterior. we haven't had any heavy rains lately just a few drizzles.

The one spot that is the most obvious is about 2-3 inches from an exterior wall. The spots are not large, just about 4 inches in diameter. from this spot there is no plumbing even remotely close. I know the foundation has had some work (piers installed) and they even did an adjustment as recent as 6 months ago which was on the opposite side of the home.

I don't feel like we have lived here long enough to really evaluate the problem but i'm trying to get an idea of what it could be and how to potentially address it.

Thanks! i have a feeling i'm going to be visiting this forum a lot. I've already installed recessed lighting, replaced damaged flooring, and changed out a toilet flange and a toilet. more than i've done in 10 years of previous home ownership!

Advertisement

mongofrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

It sounds like there is no vapor barrier under the slab, and/or no porous gravel for a capillary break. There are, apparently, special concrete sealers that you can apply to such slabs. I'd call a local concrete place and also google the sealer, and search here and buildingscience.com

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:20 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 688

A picture of the outside of the house in this area may be of help.
No gutters, slab pored to low, no french drains, siding to close to the ground can all let water in under the walls.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

the right side of the house is where i am noticing the wet carpet. somewhere between the two far right windows.

seams like adding a seal or barrier would be an extremely labor intensive job. the carpet downstairs is completely new. It was laid when the house went on the market. I know the guttering is only about a year old. French drains were installed on both East and West sides of the home. Right and left sides in the picture.

thanks for the tips.
Attached Thumbnails
recurring wet, damp spots in my living room.-3da8h5tcppi5.jpg  
Old 03-18-2012, 11:06 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 626

Do you have a dog? or a young child? that could be the source?just kidding. the other people beat me to the most real cause to the problem. Another thing is a broken pipe under the slab?
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 12:14 AM   #6

Well. I do have a dog and a son whose first complete sentence was "I pee pee on the wall". Thankfully, he has outgrown that seriously annoying habit.

It probably is a foundation issue. Im probably gonna give it a few more weeks to see if I can pinpoint things a little better. Nonetheless, it has me a little concerned because when I sit in our couch that backs up to that wall, I can smell a faint mildew smell. My wife says she doesn't but her smeller is seriously dysfunctional.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:44 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 790

I suspect the french drains are allowing too much gutter water to get under the slab.

Advertisement

PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote