Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-28-2013, 05:15 PM   #1

Share |

Recommendation for outdoor security camera

A bit more than the title indicates. We want a wireless, color, day/night live security audio/video camera with receiver that can be connected to our audio video receiver or television for viewing at anytime by switching to that component. Much the same as switching to a DVR via remote control (i.e Harmony One or such). A tremendous plus would be the system transmit some type of signal (light/sound) also when motion is detected. I realize we are asking for a lot.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

sore thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Yes you are, since most homeowners are going with WiFi cameras, or POE (Power Over Ethernet) cameras. Images are saved to a NAS (Network Attached Storage), or sent to a site like http://www.mangocam.com.

I have a Foscam FI8905W for outside, that works really well.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

I really how no idea about the current technology. Thanks for getting bringing me forward.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sore thumb View Post
I really how no idea about the current technology. Thanks for getting bringing me forward.
The current technology is really no different than it was five years ago. Just better parts, that are made cheaper, so the prices have come down.

If you want the older conventional Coax RG-59 type camera, they make a converter to change the feed to RCA Yellow, or Wifi, but that adds to the costs.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 09-28-2013, 09:55 PM   #5

No thanks, has to be wireless. I have plenty of time for simple technology to be developed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
No thanks, has to be wireless. I have plenty of time for simple technology to be developed.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
With Wireless, you are going to have to have enough signal range from a WiFi repeater or Access Point. Plus you will need a A/C outlet out of the weather, that the transformer will plug into.

Mine that is attached to my garage, the wire from it, that is for Ethernet, Reset, and the DC adapter, goes up through a gap between the plywood and Car Siding, then from there goes over to an outlet. I had a problem with range though on one of my Wireless-N A/P's, so I have to use the Wireless-G A/P for my UVerse Gateway. Distance is only around 25 feet, but due to structure makeup of the house, and that the radio sits three feet underground, it does bring the Signal down.

You have to do a map of your area that you are going to be using the camera in, by using something like inSSIDer, to figure out the farthest you can get the camera. Then you have to have a way to get power to the Camera, along with having the power out of the weather.

You can use a Weather box with weather tight fittings along with having an a/c outlet in a box inside, but again you are talking more than what you may want to put into this. Then there is the cost for a upload site like mangocam.com per month, or a NAS for storage.

It is not a cheap venture, I will tell you. I have invested over $900 in my setup. Three cameras, a NAS and a APC UPS for the networking gear downstairs that the NAS is located at, along with two switches for my network, and the ATT Router/Gateway.
sore thumb (09-28-2013)
Old 09-28-2013, 11:40 PM   #7

That is more than I want to invest. I will like into alternatives to cameras.
Old 09-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #8
Retired from the grind

Quote:
That is more than I want to invest. I will like into alternatives to cameras.
Like I stated, it is not the cameras that are expensive, it is everything that goes into running them, that adds up.
sore thumb (09-29-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 07:20 AM   #9

Absolutely.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

I agree with gregzoll.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to alexjoe For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (10-02-2013)
Old 10-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #11

You could get a baby monitor and point it out the window.
I went with the cheapest method which is wired. I bought a dvr security card from eBay for $20 and put it in an old pc. I got a credit card with 0% plus reward points . I used the points to get a camera.
intense98rt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intense98rt For This Useful Post:
sore thumb (10-03-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 04:31 PM   #12

I installed two four-camera systems (same system at both places) at my mom's and my house.

I bought this system along with a 1 tb hard drive.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I could be wrong, but I don't think there really is such a thing as wireless.

Even if it doesn't connect via bnc wires, you still need a power source, unless you get a battery-operated one, which in the long run would probably be more trouble.

My total install price was about $335, and I had very few tools to start. Here's what I did:

1) figured out where I wanted the cameras
2) drilled two holes in the attic (two cameras into either hole) and stuck pvc pipe in the holes
3) fished the wires from both pvc pipes into the pipes and into the attic
4) figured out where I wanted the bnc jack (on my bedroom wall) so that it was close to the dvr
5) drilled into the top plate at the appropriate spot and dropped all the camera wires down (4 bnc and 4 power cables)
6) cut out a spot in the drywall for the jack and put it in
7) wired the bnc to the wall outlet (keystone style wallplate) the power cables came out through an empty slot in the wallplate and hooked into the wall from there
8) hooked it all up to the dvr
9) sealed up the pipe/holes in the attic with spray foam and caulk--used a grommet/bushing for the entry into the attic
10)put protective tubing on the outside wires and clamped them to the siding

I hope this helps. If you have anymore questions, let me know.

I am not handy at all and I did this in about 21 hours per install.
areaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

I should add that, in my experience, the night vision is a joke.

You really need some bright lights positioned appropriately around the camera, maybe some motion floodlights.

That's my next project.
areaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:00 PM   #14

Quote:
A bit more than the title indicates. We want a wireless, color, day/night live security audio/video camera with receiver that can be connected to our audio video receiver or television for viewing at anytime by switching to that component. Much the same as switching to a DVR via remote control (i.e Harmony One or such). A tremendous plus would be the system transmit some type of signal (light/sound) also when motion is detected. I realize we are asking for a lot.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Most of what you're asking for is not that big a deal. The night time color however is a bit of a stretch. You need lots of light for that so if you have a WELL lit area then it won't be so bad, but most don't at night.

You can do it pretty cheap if you wish but the quality won't be so great. Better to spend a few bucks. You can also get pretty elaberate with these things too if you want.

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/c-4-surveillance.aspx
Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by areaman View Post
I should add that, in my experience, the night vision is a joke.
Actually night vision can be pretty good. The mistake people make is that the small ir lighting from the cams isn't that powerful so the range sucks. Adding some ir lighting at the ground level will greatly improve things.

Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote