Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #1

Share |

Recommend a Source for Finding a Carpenter

I'm planning on finishing off my basement. The one area that would take me the longest due to inexperience would be framing it in. Instead of doing that myself, I am considering hiring a carpenter if I could find one that would give me a reasonable rate. Its not hard or complicated. I'm only talking about framing it in; 23'x23', 3 windows, 3 doors. I'm in no rush and this could be a nice side job for someone to do over two weekends. Does anyone know of a web source where I could put the specs in and get back quotes from reliable carpenters?

jckay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Good luck with doing it that way, your going to get every nut case and shade tree carpenter out of work replying.
Far better to ask around, friends, church, clubs you may belong to ect.
Word of mouth is the best advertizing.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
DIY staff

Boy,I second that---Ask any trades men that you know,also.

We all get to know the other trades----I give out granite installers--wood floor --roofers and painters names all the time---
Bud Cline (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 02:08 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Look for a bonded and insured contractor that has skilled and competent trades people to finish this for you. Out of the game myself, but even if swamped and with a waiting list as happened when working? I would list off competent people.

I was easy to find restoring and renovating antique homes and businesses. Just look around for others doing quality work around you. You will make the connections.

Or you could go with scabs. First place to find them is around box stores. Some are alright and just needing work. Worth betting on them?
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

I cannot see getting any legitimate estimates without an onsite inspection.
As stated, local references are the best.. There is Angies List you might try. An internet source of local trades who have been recommended by other people. Who those other people are is another story. Who knows what the vetting process is?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 08:30 AM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
I cannot see getting any legitimate estimates without an onsite inspection.
As stated, local references are the best.. There is Angies List you might try. An internet source of local trades who have been recommended by other people. Who those other people are is another story. Who knows what the vetting process is?
Angies List is dying under its own weight. And is being suited on a regular basis because it has no accountability. Pissed off at your Nanny, for example. The site provides no room for arguments like you forgot to buy food for the three kids, four dogs and three cats with the $100 paid me a month to take care of my spoiled brats and leave your 8,000 sf place spotless.

Angies Nightmares is being thought about. Why not, finally a site that lists clients we should never, ever think of working for? Again. Ever. With anonymous horror stories. Trust me, I can find a real Angie, or would Angelita work? I could convince her to look slapped against a wall and click some photos with her fashionita 11 yo offspring screaming!

"Stop Steven stop! Please, I beg you. With all my heart and I no longer care if you remember my birthdate. I know you did not help make me!"

The makeup is all wrong for this late night alley lighting! And I need to beat Mom with something from the kitchen heavier than a cast iron frying pan so she looks, like more real!"

Angie's list listed you as one that would walk pretty little girls, with great eyes to school and back. Feeling lucky sucka!"

In my state, the Attorney General website will pump out legit contractors faster than Angie could ever dream.

Last edited by user1007; 12-02-2011 at 08:49 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
In my state, the Attorney General website will pump out legit contractors faster than Angie could ever dream.
Just because you're a, "legit contractor", doesn't make you worthy of recommendation. It's just a snapshot of a legal status at the time of viewing.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #8

Unless you are an unusally long distance off the beaten path, there is somebody in your immediate area who is perfect for the type of work that you want done. Take the advice given in the first several posts, and start asking around. Just as an example, in our area anyway, I know several guys who have lunch at the senior's center every weekday, who could tell you what permits are required, know who to direct you to get same, would provide excellent workmanship, and. most of all, after meeting them, you would have no reservations in regard to inviting them into your home. You said that it is not a rush, so since the project itself is not a large one, spend that extra time up front to get things rolling in the direction that I am sure would be best for you.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII View Post
Unless you are an unusally long distance off the beaten path, there is somebody in your immediate area who is perfect for the type of work that you want done. Take the advice given in the first several posts, and start asking around. Just as an example, in our area anyway, I know several guys who have lunch at the senior's center every weekday, who could tell you what permits are required, know who to direct you to get same, would provide excellent workmanship, and. most of all, after meeting them, you would have no reservations in regard to inviting them into your home. You said that it is not a rush, so since the project itself is not a large one, spend that extra time up front to get things rolling in the direction that I am sure would be best for you.
This is perhaps the best advice ever offered on this site.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #10

I used a site called service magic. You describe what sort of project you have and they match you with some local contractors that do that sort of work. I hit pay dirt with it but could have just as easily traded the cow for magic beans.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #11

Thanks for the input. Sounds like the web won't help for this. I'll ask around and find a quality guy looking to make some extra dough. thx.

jckay is offline   Reply With Quote