Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
The Moose is loose.

Share |

Recommend me a book or books for home repair and renovation.

Wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a house and I am going to want to do some things to it after we get moved in and settled a bit. I know some things, but I wouldn't say I know a lot. I'd like to know some books I could get and keep to read up on from time to time to learn new things and to refresh my memory. Basically anything that involves home repair or building. (foundation, plumbing, dry wall, tile work, anything) I want to learn as much as possible. I am planning on using our first house to "test" some things and practice up for when we get a home built on land down the road.

I would be interested in single books or series, pretty much anything that you guys would really benefit a first time home buyer/renovator.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by MooseWoodworks; 01-12-2011 at 03:39 PM.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:27 PM   #2

I've always found Taunton books to be the most helpful.

http://www.taunton.com/

How old is the house you're buying?

This book was also a favorite of mine to read when I first got into remodeling our home.

Renovation:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...F9ZBNFA4PRN9EM

HenryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #3

I just read an issue of Fine Homebuilding from Taunton (Look in Henry G's link in the previous post).

I see they have a DVD with issues 1-216 of Fine Homebuilding on it. The one magazine I have has so much good information in it, I can imagine a DVD with 216 issues would be a good investment. FWIW
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
The Moose is loose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryG View Post
I've always found Taunton books to be the most helpful.

http://www.taunton.com/

How old is the house you're buying?

This book was also a favorite of mine to read when I first got into remodeling our home.

Renovation:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156...F9ZBNFA4PRN9EM
The house we are buying was built in the 70's. However, it was recently renovated in order to flip it. My wife and I actually wanted to buy it before the current owner got it and flip it ourselves, but our situation has since changed and it now appeals to us because it offers a blank template, move in ready property.

It's actually a decent opportunity. There are still things that can be done to the house to add value to it that won't put it out of the neighborhood's price range.
MooseWoodworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 12:27 AM   #5

Drakes, you may want to post your question in the Landscaping and Lawn care forum. More people will see it there. FWIW
gma2rjc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Retired from the grind

I use the Black & Decker "Complete Guide to Home Wiring". Just found out, that they have a code book that helps picture wise to make it easier to understand measurements for stuff like placement of wall switches, etc. These books do not replace the knowledge that a inspector or tradesman can give you. They are meant to be a reference, just like the NEC is considered the bible of the Electrical trade, and guideline that keeps you safe, and your property safe.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
MooseWoodworks (01-14-2011)
Old 01-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Post some pic's over in the Project forum. Also, in the neighborhood that this house is in, are people rehabing homes to bring them up to more modern standards, such as mid to high end kitchens and baths? Get to know your neighbors, and find out what they have done, or are doing to their homes, and that will give you and idea where to go.

I want to go with Solid surface or Granite with out Kitchen, since it would last longer than Formica, but I may have to opt with Formica, on the low end for mine, since it would fit into this part of our neighborhood. Also, keep in mind that when remodeling, guaranteed, you will make six more trips to the home center than you expected, and make six more changes to the plans while in the middle of the project.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #8
I have gas!

Finehomebuilding magazine and website offer some good ideas. It's a bit pricey though.