Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Recomend me a door for this closet (PIC)

Hi, first time poster here. I just bought my first house and am looking for the most simple and least expensive solution. Should I do a bypass or bifold setup? Also, notice that there is baseboard molding in the closet - can I take a dremmel and cut a notch out of the molding so the doors will be flush with the wall? Would that be the best way to do it? Also the floor is solid concrete, which I plan on carpeting. Do I install the hardware into the floor before or after I put carpet down?

Also the house was built in the 50's and the closet has an old bypass track installed up top... There's no way I can re-use that is there? I'm thinking it would probably be better to take it off but I'm not sure.

The house will be a rental so fit and finish doesn't have to be 5 star quality! I just need closet doors!

TIA guys!

Neo2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bifold may not fit without trimming the doors. Bypass openings are usually about 1+" narrower than byfold. Looks like a 4' closet, but for a bifold, the opening has to be 48+" to avoid trimming the doors. A typical bypass opening would be 47" or less. If wide enough for bifold, probably no need to cut the trim, not a bad idea for bypass so it fits tightly at the wall.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I used sliding mirror doors at my last house
Made the room look bigger
Plus wimmen like a full length mirror
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo2172 View Post
Hi, first time poster here. I just bought my first house and am looking for the most simple and least expensive solution. Should I do a bypass or bifold setup? Also, notice that there is baseboard molding in the closet - can I take a dremmel and cut a notch out of the molding so the doors will be flush with the wall? Would that be the best way to do it? Also the floor is solid concrete, which I plan on carpeting. Do I install the hardware into the floor before or after I put carpet down?

Also the house was built in the 50's and the closet has an old bypass track installed up top... There's no way I can re-use that is there? I'm thinking it would probably be better to take it off but I'm not sure.

The house will be a rental so fit and finish doesn't have to be 5 star quality! I just need closet doors!

TIA guys!

A good quality by-pass might be your least problematic door in a rental.
Unless you can ID the existing track and find hardware..it might save time to buy a new kit. Dremmel and chisel might let you remove what you need
at your baseboard...steady hand required.. or (Fein Mastertool) or pop off base, cut with miter saw.. reinstall... touch up paint.

Measure your opening and check for plumb and square ( you will be able to adjust doors a certain amount if walls are out of plumb. If over 48-49" Wide... you might be able to leave base alone and intall stop or 3/4 round trim at walls and still use 2 (2-0 door slabs) [wide floor guide required] or add base molding as jambs up the walls to shrink the opening.

If you have sample of carpet and pad.. you could install doors and cut for height as needed. If samples not available... you could just wait until floor is finished..or you may end up doing this twice.

I usually install anyway, and plan on refitting all doors after carpet.
I like to get the drilling in concrete for floor guide out of the way.
Less mess and risk to carpet (drill bit catches fiber and creates a long ugly run... real easy to do with berber carpet)

Carpet installers should remove and re-install your floor guides. However: If doors won't fit and need to be cut the doors are just stacked on a nearby wall ... the guides get lost.. and you end up buying more.

The installers should remove the floor guide... and reinstall on top of the carpet. I've seen them left in place cut carpet & pad around them.
When this happens and thick carpet / pad are installed I have installed PT wood block, top painted to match guide or carpet color to get the guides to needed height.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:04 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

By the way, the opening is 44" wide and 81" tall... Does this limit my options? Also someone told me that a bypass would be the cheapest way to go. Is that usually true?

Sorry for this super noob question but how do I check for plumb and square? That just means putting a level in the side walls and the top to make sure everything is level right? How long of a level should I buy?

Thanks!!!
Neo2172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Does it have to be a door? How about a curtain and rod or shower curtain and shower rod?
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

yes, usually cost effective.

But, 22" wide doors are not real standard.

See if you can hunt some down in your area. check $$

If you end up special order... 81" high opening? will require a shorter than std 80' 6-8 slab.. check the hardware ... easy to eat up inches with track and roller mounting brackets. measure twice cut once...

If you hung 24" slabs, that would be 20" access closet...
your tenant might take the doors down anyway.

modify 24" door slabs?
cutting 2" off the side of slabs can be more involved than you want to do.

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote