Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:39 PM   #1

Share |

Recessed nitch depth along bathroom wall

In the middle of remodeling a bathroom, two sides of the shower area are surrounded by interior walls - wood framed 2x4 studs.

Thinking of framing in a few recessed nitches on that wall for sponges, shampoo, body wash etc...HOWEVER...the wall is only 3.5" thick (2x4).

The other side of the wall is a hallway, so I will have sheetrock covering the back side of that wall. The front side of the wall will have a 1/2" cement board over the wood framed wall, then 1/4" wall tiles, which makes the maximum depth of that nitch 3.5" + 0.5" + 0.25" = 4.25" measuring from the back of the sheetrock from the other side.

I don't think I can just tile over the back of that sheetrock (after waterproofing) can I? I assume I need a piece of cement board on the back side as well? Plus the tile over it. That reduces the depth to 3.5" again.

Is 3.5" enough for a shower nitch? Seems awfully shallow...should I just forget it?

miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #2

Recessed nitch depth along bathroom wall

3 1/2 inches is fine. You can either make the niche or buy pre fabbed ones. Measure the stuff you would be sticking in the niche just to be sure you have enough height.

djlandkpl is online now   Reply With Quote