Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

re-tiling a backsplash?

We have removed the old tile back splash in our kitchen to make way for a new one. The old tile was installed directly on the plaster. The old tile left a good bit of adhesive on the wall. I'm a little unsure on how to handle this. Should I find the studs, screw backer board to the studs and tile on that. Or will I be ok scraping off as much of the old adhesive as possible and going directly to the plaster again. I'm a little concerned with poor bonding if I go directly to the plaster, I don't know if I will be able to get every little bit of adhesive off. However that is the route I'm planning to take right now. I'm also a little concerned about using backerboard. While there are studs every 16", the backer board is to be screwed down every 8 inches. The plaster is over what appears to be drywall and is an inch thick in most places. I don't have a high confidence level in how well the backer board would be attached to the wall. Need some opinions on how folks would handle this, maybe there is another option I'm not considering.

jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:14 PM   #2
Too Old

Rewards Points: 250

re-tiling a backsplash?

Sounds like the old tile and plaster was holding up pretty well. I would scrape all the loose adhesive off then retile.

havalife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 10

re-tiling a backsplash?

It will be fine. There is no need for backer board. Tile is installed over drywall all the time.
wnycontractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:16 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

re-tiling a backsplash?

You don't have to get all the adhesive off, just the high spots and any loose stuff. The low rough surface can be compensated for by using a trowel with notches a little deeper then the rough surface. The tiles will float on the adhesive and not bottom out on the wall.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:22 AM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

re-tiling a backsplash?

The screw every 8" pertains to floor tiles, you will be fine with wall tiles as the originals were

Mark
Old 03-29-2011, 05:51 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 75

re-tiling a backsplash?

As the others have said; if the wall is sound, you should be able to go right over it.
If you want you can adhere this stuff to the wall first to give you a smooth surface to work on.
http://www.tavytools.com/thin_skin.html

Do It Right is offline   Reply With Quote