Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 PM   #1

Share |

Re-routing electrical in a wall

I have a bathroom with a light fixture hung from the ceiling. Since most newer light fixtures are wall mounted, we are considering routing the electric from the ceiling to the wall above the vanity mirror.

I have attic access and the walls are plaster. Is it possible to reroute the conduit down the inside of the wall and open up a hole for a new junction box?

I might be making more work than I need, however I was thinking I could send some conduit from the junction box in the attic to the area just above the bathroom wall...then send some conduit down behind the wall. HOpefully I am making sense.

DK75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:36 AM   #2

No need for conduit -

Mount a j-box in the attic where the old light is - run a new wire from the j-box to the new fixture. Use a fish tape to get the wire through the wall.

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
No need for conduit -

Mount a j-box in the attic where the old light is - run a new wire from the j-box to the new fixture. Use a fish tape to get the wire through the wall.
The man lives in Chicago, everything is run in conduit.
There are no rules about where the lights go. In most bathrooms there are both ceiling and vanity lights. The vanity lights are generally used for tasks done at the sink.
While you could run the conduit from the ceiling area, you would need to leave the ceiling light in place so you could still have access to the box from below. You can't bury the box in the ceiling by removing the light and covering up the box.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Advice worth 2 cents!

Ron is on the right track but, if the guy has access to the attic he can remove that box in the ceiling and push it up into the attic as a junction box.

Can you use flexible steel conduit? whatever, it's a pretty easy job.

I'm an electrician and I swear I can put a light fixture or receptacle anywhere in a home!

_pete
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandyPete View Post
Ron is on the right track but, if the guy has access to the attic he can remove that box in the ceiling and push it up into the attic as a junction box.

Can you use flexible steel conduit? whatever, it's a pretty easy job.

I'm an electrician and I swear I can put a light fixture or receptacle anywhere in a home!

_pete
Hi Pete, I would like a receptacle on the side of the toilet, as I would like to use my electric razor, while attending natures call! How would you recommend the proper procedure for this?
Pete, I'm having you on! I'm an electrician also and couldn't resist the temptation.
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote