Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Share |

re: garage door troubleshooting

I have a old lift-master chain drive garage door. For some reason today, when i press the open button, i can hear the motor buzz for a split second. If i press the button only 10 seconds later, there is a click from the motor. The door won't open

On first visual inspection, i can see the torion spring looks okay.
the chain does seem to be sagging slightly on one side (see picture below).

side note: earlier this year, i dialed the "closed position" as close to the ground as i could. I don't know if these two things are related.

any thought on what this may be, or what i should investigate is appreciated.

re: garage door troubleshooting-img-20130304-00440.jpg

re: garage door troubleshooting-img-20130304-00437.jpg
gramps416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:38 PM   #2

Looks like you have it come down to hard.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Looks like you have it come down to hard.
Absolutely! The track is forced up too far in the picture and holding way too much tension on the chain & drive. You might have to pull the rip cord to get it free.
PoleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoleCat View Post
Absolutely! The track is forced up too far in the picture and holding way too much tension on the chain & drive. You might have to pull the rip cord to get it free.
how is this process done? i pulled the rip cord, but nothing seems to happen.
once it is free, what is the next step?
Old 03-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Remodeler

After you trip the release, lift the door manually to confirm the door is working ok. It should work smoothly up and down, and the door should stay open when you open it all the way. Basically the door should be very well balanced, it should take very little effort to open and it should close about as easily. Run the opener, does the trolley carrier move? Does the opener run at all? Does is run briefly and stop? Does it run and click?

Regardless need to back off the down travel limit at least 1/2 round maybe more. The door should not be forced so tightly closed. Back the down travel limit screw off about one round and go from there.

You may have already damaged the drive gear in the opener by allowing it to force the door so tightly closed. It is a fairly common problem and an inexpensive repair if you diy, parts are around $10-$15. This can happen due to normal wear over several years or it can happen very quickly if the opener is trying to do more than it should. A door that drags, catches, or binds can strip the gear in weeks instead of years.

Need a little more description of what the opener is doing. You describe it as only running for a split second but also clicking. Is the click just a single click, then nothing. Does the motor run but the unit clicks and the door does not move. Many ways to interpret this.
iamrfixit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iamrfixit For This Useful Post:
gramps416 (03-05-2013)
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM   #6

that's what it took. I disengaged the door and adjusted the height. works great. thanks
-g