Raising Fiberglass Porch Column - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Raising Fiberglass Porch Column

I'm building a covered front porch. I found a contractor who is selling some new Permacast fiberglass porch columns at a substantial discount then new. The problem is they are only seven feet in height. I need columns at least 7'6".

Can I compensate for the the 6" by adding an additional base "block(?)" for the column to rest on? Basically, taking something like a cedar or PT 6x6 and picture framing it into a base for the post to rest on? I don't think the additional base will have any effect on the load bearing of the column, but may have possible issues with the anchoring?

I've searched the web and have not found any topics to raising a porch column this way.

Advertisement

xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by xk49 View Post
I'm building a covered front porch. I found a contractor who is selling some new Permacast fiberglass porch columns at a substantial discount then new. The problem is they are only seven feet in height. I need columns at least 7'6".

Can I compensate for the the 6" by adding an additional base "block(?)" for the column to rest on? Basically, taking something like a cedar or PT 6x6 and picture framing it into a base for the post to rest on? I don't think the additional base will have any effect on the load bearing of the column, but may have possible issues with the anchoring?

I've searched the web and have not found any topics to raising a porch column this way.
You shouldn't have any problems doing that if you make sure the base can drain water well instead of holding water. One thing you could do if you wanted to is make the capital 2 -1/2 inches thick to take up some of the room so the base wouldn't look so heavy. Just make sure if you use wood for the base to take water drainage into consideration.

Check out these fiberglass base and capitals that you may want to take a look at.
http://www.crowncolumn.com/homeowner...italsbases.php

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Not so new

Rewards Points: 504

Would you happen to have a drawing or pic (if its been started)?
12penny is offline   Reply With Quote