Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-23-2010, 07:54 AM   #1

Share |

Raising cottage block wall question

Hi all I own a cottage in northern Ontario and it had recently been raised walkout basement constructed and lowered back onto foundation. Does this structure need to be heated ? We have no heat source as of yet and not sure what will happen if furnace not installed yet any help would be great. Thanks Nicole

Sellwithnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #2

What, specifically, is your question? Are you concerned about the mortar that was used for the blocks in the basement? If so, how recent is "recently", and have you asked your mason this question? Since there is mortar exposed on both sides of the blocks, I doubt that your concern would be addressed by heating only the inside anyway. On the other hand, if recently was yesterday, there might be something worth doing, but if recently means a month ago, it probably doesn't matter at this point. Are you concerned about plumbing? or drywall? or wall paint? In my opinion, yes, most interior finishes, etc. are subject to at least long-term affects of an unheated building. But, I know quite a number of folks with second homes in the northern reaches, who drain the plumbing, and turn off the heat for the winter, and those homes have not yet fallen down.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #3

Also, I thought about this, and forgot to mention it, but considering that this is still a work in process, typically there are many other things that you would want to complete before trying to heat your home, such as caulking, insulation, etc. If you have not yet addressed these items, heating costs could become quite a challenge, particularly for a second home.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Very new construction and yes like your friends we don't use much if at all to heat right now will be pricey until insulation upgraded and whatnot but cannot do until spring... Guess wondering if a building is not heated is the risk of wall heaving really that great? Attached picture of cottage in air with footings being constructed underneath
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2010, 01:30 PM   #5

Assuming grade is similar all of the way around the house, your basement footers appear to be well below the frostline, as they should be, and I assume that it is all to code anyway, so if it got backfilled and at least graded enough for water to run away from it, you should be fine; I would not stay up nights worrying about it.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterII
Assuming grade is similar all of the way around the house, your basement footers appear to be well below the frostline, as they should be, and I assume that it is all to code anyway, so if it got backfilled and at least graded enough for water to run away from it, you should be fine; I would not stay up nights worrying about it.
I thought so as well it had passed inspection (very strict codes due to lakefront) so we will proceed in spring I am sure there will be lots to post lol thanks for your input no I will stop worrying
Old 12-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Concrete & Masonry

Seeing as you're in N. Ontario, and tis is a walk-out basement, yes, you have reason to be concerned.

I'm telling you from experience, you need to protect the footings & post pads at a minimum. If the basement floor is already in, it's can possibly heave as well.

I've got a few basement floors prepped to pour right now in new construction, and I can promise you that frost would be under them already if we hadn't taken the proper precautions. I assume the house already has existing drywall, finished floors, millwork installed etc.... DO NOT roll the dice with the frost.

The easiest, cheapest approach for a home that's not lived in would be to install straw around the interior perimeter of the walls & each column post. Don't be stingy with the straw, it's cheap, repairs to the rest of the house aren't.

Concrete insulating blankets or rigid foam are better options, but more costly for a one-time use.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
Seeing as you're in N. Ontario, and tis is a walk-out basement, yes, you have reason to be concerned.

I'm telling you from experience, you need to protect the footings & post pads at a minimum. If the basement floor is already in, it's can possibly heave as well.

I've got a few basement floors prepped to pour right now in new construction, and I can promise you that frost would be under them already if we hadn't taken the proper precautions. I assume the house already has existing drywall, finished floors, millwork installed etc.... DO NOT roll the dice with the frost.

The easiest, cheapest approach for a home that's not lived in would be to install straw around the interior perimeter of the walls & each column post. Don't be stingy with the straw, it's cheap, repairs to the rest of the house aren't.

Concrete insulating blankets or rigid foam are better options, but more costly for a one-time use.
We have heaters going and furnace slated for install in next two weeks just had hoped the heat could wait hard to get equipment in once snow hits but we will expedite the furnace thanks all!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

If your holding it at freezing or jut above, tat's a whole different story. You should be fine wit what your currently planning.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomama45
If your holding it at freezing or jut above, tat's a whole different story. You should be fine wit what your currently planning.
Soo keeping the basement only at above freezing should be ok? Just don't want to mess up a pretty pricey project
Old 12-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #11

I'm in S.Ontario and our code requires that the footings are to be below the frost line which is 48". I would think that yours would be that much or more.
If you your footings meet code requirements, then you should have no worries about the foundation heaving.
However, as was mentioned earlier, frost under the concrete floor will cause it to heave and cause damage.
Straw bales will make good insulation and come spring you can sell them off for stock bedding!

Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote