Raised Floorboards Under Carpet - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2011, 12:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Raised Floorboards Under Carpet

2 story house:

Recently I've been noticing a slight "dip" (.5 inches) every 2 to 4 feet or so in my upstairs hallway. It seems as though it occurs where the floorboards should be nailed down to the joists, but I'm not sure. I also have this problem in an upstairs closet where I was able to pull up the carpet and confirm that all of a sudden the floorboard raises .5 inches.

What's the cause of this and how can it be remedied?

Thanks

Gerard

Advertisement

gerardswork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

If the finished floor is separating from the substrate, it either wasn't nailed or glued properly.
If it's a floating floor, it was put down without a space around the perimeter and the floor is buckleing because of it. It's expanding against the wall and lifting in the middle.
Do you know what kind of floor you have or who put it in?

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. It is simply plywood laid on floor joists. I'm not sure who laid the flooring, but would say that it is butting up against one another. The house was built in the 1980's with nails, not screws, and there are many squeaks on the 2nd floor that I've fixed with screws. I'm wondering if I can't screw down the floor boards where its butting.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardswork View Post
Thanks for the response. It is simply plywood laid on floor joists. I'm not sure who laid the flooring, but would say that it is butting up against one another. The house was built in the 1980's with nails, not screws, and there are many squeaks on the 2nd floor that I've fixed with screws. I'm wondering if I can't screw down the floor boards where its butting.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
Are you calling"floor boards", plywood? So you basically just have a subfloor down?
If it's just the plywood lifting, you can screw it down to the joists.
If the plywood is square edged, there should have been a 1/8" space between the sheets for expansion.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #5

Thanks...I'll let you know how it turns out...is this something of concern or a typical problem?
Old 12-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardswork View Post
Thanks...I'll let you know how it turns out...is this something of concern or a typical problem?
It's an issue that you should not have. The people who built the house took shortcuts. The plywood should have been T&G, spaced properly, glued to the joists and nailed down.
It's more of an annoyance and I probably wouldn't plan on tile or hardwood flooring with this issue. As part of the remediation, I'd cut along the plywood seams to introduce the needed space between the sheets. This would relieve the lateral pressure on the joints.
Just cut the depth of the plywood.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

A dip? Any chance the plywood is too thin for the span? What thickness, and what span?

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote