Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 PM   #1

Share |

rain Shelter help

Hello there,
I was talking to a contractor about building an affordable 30ft high rain shelter, and he said to use 38' utility poles about 8' in the ground then to use 60' wood trusses.
I would like to know what do you guys recommend for the roof and if you guys have any comments or recommendation on what would be better for here in Charlotte NC..
I was thinking maybe setting all the utility poles then building the whole roof on the ground and then set it in place with a crane.

this is an idea of what im looking for but bigger and taller

this is the sketch I made 60'x60'x30'

this project took me over 12 months to complete by myself, and its what would be under the shelter, the utility poles where the lights are hanging are 30ft tall
Monier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

rain Shelter help

Pretty big project. It really needs to be engineered, especially because you are looking at a shelter for people, so it has to be functional under severe weather conditions such as lightning storm, high winds etc. Plus I assume it needs a permit, which means the plans are almost certainly going to have to be stamped by a professional engineer. As for a contractor suggesting using a specific sized pole buried a specific amount, without engineering, you can't put any stock in that.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

rain Shelter help

I understand Daniel.. I was able to get a quote for 12 utility poles and also the 60ft long wood trusses from a local lumber that makes them.
Im wondering if its possible to built something like this or not because of the height and like you said weather conditions..
if its possible I would like set the utility poles in the ground then build the roof by myself on the floor then have professionals inspect everything,
and set the roof in place because I am not doing that, If it collapses my heart would just stop.

Last edited by Monier; 02-01-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:58 PM   #4
Civil Engineer

rain Shelter help

Maybe I wasn't real clear. You are contemplating a large structure which is subject to very high loads, primarily from wind. It is also considered critical construction because it is designed to shelter people, not machinery or bricks. There are many ways to build such a structure, but all of them require careful, complete, detailed engineering to insure that this structure is safe under foreseeable loading conditions.

You are way beyond normal building code here, you have entered the twilight zone where engineering computations are necessary, and you are not likely to find a "standard" design that will fit your material list. Of course, if you go to a pre-engineered structure, that is a totally different matter, then the manufacturer (like a Butler building) will have designed the building, and will have stamped plans available. You would simply build it.

If this were a temporary structure like a tent, that is a structure designed to be put up and taken down, you might be able to get away without engineering, although even there a lot of towns are rethinking this because of the catastrophe in Kansas City (I believe it was Kansas City) where several people were killed at an outdoor fair when a wind storm knocked over the tent they were sheltering under.

So I believe you are going to need a fully engineered structure, and speculating about whether you can use telephone poles and some trusses is beyond where I care to go.
Daniel Holzman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #5

rain Shelter help

I should be better off by contacting building companies and ask them if they have something already made in that size range..
something made of steel like a framing should be really strong, I like something like this..

Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #6

rain Shelter help

Really big project it is and purpose is good. I am not having much idea so that I will not give any suggetions. But my best wishes are with you Monier
agate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:30 AM   #7

rain Shelter help

Your problem (at least around here) with a truss struture design like that wiuld be nesting and roosting birds, and poop raining down.

You will notice most public structures that are similar, such as music pavillions, are designed such that there are no flat surfaces for roosting (boxed beams and trusses, ceiling skin, etc.

I don't think this can be done right, or safely, cheap.
ranger12 is offline   Reply With Quote