Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Share |

Radon Tester

I'm selling the home and the buyers are doing a radon test. They put one in my basement for four days. How do these things work? Are they very sophisticated or simply take an average value since the time they've been reading? Would they give readings at different times of the day for example, do they also measure temperature, humidity etc. etc. (not sure if those even have an effect on the readings).

smawgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:47 PM   #2

Radon Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by smawgunner View Post
I'm selling the home and the buyers are doing a radon test. They put one in my basement for four days. How do these things work? Are they very sophisticated or simply take an average value since the time they've been reading? Would they give readings at different times of the day for example, do they also measure temperature, humidity etc. etc. (not sure if those even have an effect on the readings).
Radon is a gas that's a by product of uranium deteriorating. It's presence isn't dictated by the time of day or phases of the moon. It gets into the house through cracks in the foundation and the slab. It's easily removed and it's not expensive to fix.
A simple Google will answer all your questions.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
Leah Frances (03-04-2011)
Old 03-04-2011, 09:53 PM   #3

Radon Tester

Let us know how this turns out.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #4

Radon Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Radon is a gas that's a by product of uranium deteriorating. It's presence isn't dictated by the time of day or phases of the moon. It gets into the house through cracks in the foundation and the slab. It's easily removed and it's not expensive to fix.
A simple Google will answer all your questions.
Ron
I don't think you read my post carefully. I didn't ask what causes radon, I'm asking what types of data does the detector pick up besides radon measures. For example does it tell you at this time of day, the reading was a 6, the temp was 65 degrees and humidity 87%. OR...does it just give you a simple reading...6. ???
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #5

Radon Tester

Quote:
I don't think you read my post carefully. I didn't ask what causes radon, I'm asking what types of data does the detector pick up besides radon measures. For example does it tell you at this time of day, the reading was a 6, the temp was 65 degrees and humidity 87%. OR...does it just give you a simple reading...6. ???
It just detects radon in the space over time.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #6
Civil Engineer

Radon Tester

There are three inexpensive, commonly used types of detectors. They are:
  • Charcoal canister and charcoal liquid scintillation devices absorb radon or its products on to the charcoal. In the laboratory, the radioactive particles emitted from the charcoal are counted directly by a sodium iodide counter or converted to light in a liquid scintillation medium and counted in a scintillation detector.
  • The alpha track detectors have a plastic film that gets etched by the alpha particles that strike it. In the laboratory, the plastic is chemically treated to make the tracks visible, then the tracks are counted.
  • Electret ion detectors have a Teflon disc, which is statically charged. When an ion generated from radon decay strikes the Teflon disc, the electrical charge is reduced. In the laboratory, the charge reduction is measured and the radon level is calculated.
There are also far more sophisticated devices, unlikely to be used in a residential application.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #7

Radon Tester

Here is the brand name of the one they are using in my house now. It's pretty similar. Looks like it records all kinds of data.
http://femto-tech.com/products.asp
Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #8
Tileguy

Radon Tester

Quote:
Here is the brand name of the one they are using in my house now. It's pretty similar. Looks like it records all kinds of data.
http://femto-tech.com/products.asp
You have all of that information and the website answers all of your questions you have asked.

So...why are you here? I don't get it.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #9

Radon Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You have all of that information and the website answers all of your questions you have asked.

So...why are you here? I don't get it.
Let me answer your question and then I'll ask you one. I posted the questions BEFORE getting a better look at the machine. There is a tag on the machine "Do not disturb" blocking the brand name. So my question to you...why would you post what you did if you have NOTHING to offer this thread?
Old 03-05-2011, 10:57 PM   #10
Tileguy

Radon Tester

You have your answers...why are you still waisting our time?
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:13 AM   #11

Radon Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You have your answers...why are you still waisting our time?
You're wasting your own time. No one is putting a gun to your head to post
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM   #12

Radon Tester

Quote:
You're wasting your own time. No one is putting a gun to your head to post

Google will get you more pro information sound like. ?? Time to move on
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:07 PM   #13

Radon Tester

What the OP should be interested in is what the results will mean to him as a seller. If your prospective buyer finds unacceptable level of radon on the test, they are either going to want you to remediate the problem at your expense or negotiate remediation into the selling price of the house. That's why I said let us know how this turns out.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #14

Radon Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim F View Post
What the OP should be interested in is what the results will mean to him as a seller. If your prospective buyer finds unacceptable level of radon on the test, they are either going to want you to remediate the problem at your expense or negotiate remediation into the selling price of the house. That's why I said let us know how this turns out.
Good news. The results were under 4. The buyers are satisfied and didn't ask to remedy anything as a result. Thanks for asking.