Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-19-2007, 01:38 AM   #1

Share |

Radon Test Results

I had a radon test performed on a house I have under contract, and it was measured to be 8 pCi/l, which is above the passing level of 4 or below. Is anyone familiar with remediation options? I heard that some sort of external fan can be added by a professional radon remediation company, and this external setup is better than an internal one that can cause a lot of potential mold due to condensation.

There is an existing pvc tube right above the sump pit, but it is currently not connected to the sump pit. I heard from a radon tech that this is generally a cursory add on to the sump pit that really does not do much, in that an active, not passive, measure is the best solution.

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 12:03 PM   #2

Radon Test Results

Hi,
We install almost all interior radon systems. I have never seen any condensation problems on the outside of the pipe system to be concerned about. The pipe may become a little damp to touch in the middle of summer but not dripping water. Outside system are much harder on the fan life and uglier IMO.

If that pipe above the sump may be there for a passive system. But it would have to 3" or 4" PVC and run straight up through the roof to be of any value. A passive system can reduce levels by about 30%.

If you have a draintile system in place an active system should bring the level down well below 2pCi/L.

You can read more about systems here if you like...
http://www.indoor-air-health-advisor...itigation.html

Radonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 03:24 PM   #3

Radon Test Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radonguy View Post
Hi,
We install almost all interior radon systems. I have never seen any condensation problems on the outside of the pipe system to be concerned about. The pipe may become a little damp to touch in the middle of summer but not dripping water. Outside system are much harder on the fan life and uglier IMO.

If that pipe above the sump may be there for a passive system. But it would have to 3" or 4" PVC and run straight up through the roof to be of any value. A passive system can reduce levels by about 30%.

If you have a draintile system in place an active system should bring the level down well below 2pCi/L.

You can read more about systems here if you like...
http://www.indoor-air-health-advisor...itigation.html

Thanks, results came back with < 1 pCi/L. But, I think I may have to get the contractor back out b/c when the sump fills during a rainstorm, the radon tube tries to suck water before the sump kicks in. Contractor might have to trim a bit off the tube.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #4

Radon Test Results

Or lower the float on the sump pump.
Radonguy is offline   Reply With Quote