Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-20-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

radon home kits

can anyone recommend a "good" radon detection kit for home use? something that I could do every so often just to be sure? the previous home owners had a professional do a test before the sale and it came up clean, but as we all know, things can change....

I was looking at some kits a Lowes, and online and not even sure who does the best testing results, who's more accurate, etc.... any suggestions? I know the actual kit you do is basically all the same...... activated charcoal filter in a pack you send back to a lab....

BlueBSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:27 PM   #2
DIY Hack

radon home kits

you might want to start by checking with your state's radon control officer ( assuming your state has some sort of radon control program)

http://www.epa.gov/radon/whereyoulive.html

Last edited by Mr Chips; 07-20-2011 at 03:30 PM.
Mr Chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 03:49 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

radon home kits

There is actually a sensor you can buy that will continually monitor, but it is around $130. http://radonamerica.com/Continuous%2...%20Monitor.htm
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #4

radon home kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBSH View Post
can anyone recommend a "good" radon detection kit for home use? something that I could do every so often just to be sure? the previous home owners had a professional do a test before the sale and it came up clean, but as we all know, things can change....

I was looking at some kits a Lowes, and online and not even sure who does the best testing results, who's more accurate, etc.... any suggestions? I know the actual kit you do is basically all the same...... activated charcoal filter in a pack you send back to a lab....
Are you in an area prone to radon emissions?
How many neighbors have radon systems installed?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #5

radon home kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Are you in an area prone to radon emissions?
How many neighbors have radon systems installed?

Yes, this is a "high" zone according to the PA DEP, about 50% of the houses in this negiborhood have mitigation units, but half dont..... its very hit or miss with problems or no problems the three right around me have none, the ones next to them do have them... this house was tested about 1.5yrs ago and it was below the high point by a bit, but still with half the houses with them you want to monitor it somehow
Old 07-20-2011, 08:00 PM   #6

radon home kits

I worked for over 30 years in the nuclear power industry. I can tell you without reservation that the whole radon thing is one big scam. Unless you're living 24/7 in your basement or crawl space, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (07-20-2011), gregzoll (07-20-2011)
Old 07-20-2011, 09:36 PM   #7

radon home kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I worked for over 30 years in the nuclear power industry. I can tell you without reservation that the whole radon thing is one big scam. Unless you're living 24/7 in your basement or crawl space, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.
well its going to be a 100% finished basement..... so living down there could happen a lot, better safe then dieing
Old 07-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

radon home kits

Quote:
well its going to be a 100% finished basement..... so living down there could happen a lot, better safe then dieing
I have never heard of anyone dieing due to having a finished basement. In my town, none of the homes have radon systems in them, even though we are supposed to be in a medium to medium high risk area. If you want that warm fuzzy feeling, go for it. You are more susceptible in hurting yourself falling off of a ladder, tripping down the stairs, or slipping on ice, than falling dead from radon.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #9

radon home kits

I live in "zone 1", which basically means "high potential", and our local governments take radon pretty seriously. (I am not taking sides as to whether they should or shouldn't, but just saying that they have done significant homewrk in this regard.) Anyway, although I personally have no idea which kits may be better than others, our county has kits that can be purchased there, but they also recommend, as an alternative, the AccuStar brand.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:38 AM   #10

radon home kits

Quote:
So, if you test and find a high level, do you have any idea how expensive it is to retrofit a mitigation system for a basement? A crawl space is easy, but for a basement it could run to thousands of dollars.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #11

radon home kits

Quote:
So, if you test and find a high level, do you have any idea how expensive it is to retrofit a mitigation system for a basement? A crawl space is easy, but for a basement it could run to thousands of dollars.
$1,350, what's the big deal about that much? I'd have a hard time selling the house if it was tested for radon and for some reason it was past 4.0 pCi's without a mitigation system... I just find it weird people are so against checking for radon and venting it if you have it pooling in your basement
Old 07-22-2011, 10:58 AM   #12

radon home kits

Can't speak for others, but I am against it because it's a waste of money. There are many, many things you are exposed to daily that can cause cancer or otherwise make you ill long before you'll ever get sick from radon.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #13

radon home kits

Quote:
Can't speak for others, but I am against it because it's a waste of money. There are many, many things you are exposed to daily that can cause cancer or otherwise make you ill long before you'll ever get sick from radon.
yep, of course there is worse stuff, but when it comes to home value, just a few things around here seem to matter during the sale.... #1 termites #2 radon