Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Radiant heat and asbestos tiles

I'm currently negotiating to buy a home. The inspection revealed the floor tiles are most likely asbestos (9x9) considering the home was built in 1960. The house one floor, built on a concrete slab, and has radiant heat.
I believe I'm going to cover the tiles with something else rather than have them removed but don't want to hinder the heat from getting through the tiles. The tiles are in good shape and run throughout most of the 3-bedroom (1,000 sq ft) home except for the kitchen.
Just curious as to what kind of flooring people would recommend to put over these tiles considering the heat comes through the floor.

sixsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #2

I know this doesn't help but is it too late to back out? Asbstos anwhere in the house could scare away future buyers should you decide to sell.

Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsix View Post
I'm currently negotiating to buy a home. The inspection revealed the floor tiles are most likely asbestos (9x9) considering the home was built in 1960. The house one floor, built on a concrete slab, and has radiant heat.
I believe I'm going to cover the tiles with something else rather than have them removed but don't want to hinder the heat from getting through the tiles. The tiles are in good shape and run throughout most of the 3-bedroom (1,000 sq ft) home except for the kitchen.
Just curious as to what kind of flooring people would recommend to put over these tiles considering the heat comes through the floor.
The radiant floor system is most likely copper and is at the end of it's useful life. The radiant floor heating that was installed in Levittown, NY after WW2 has all been replaced long ago. If this was part of a developement, check out the neigbors to see how many have had to convert to baseboard heat due to flooding or leaking.
If you buy the house, convert before doing any floor work.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote