Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

R30 CFL Bulb Suggestions

I recently installed recessed lighting in my hallways. I picked up some GE R30 cfl's. They instantly turn on when I hit the switch, but they start out dim and it takes 10-15 seconds for them to reach their maximum brightness. I would like to stay with the cfl's but I want ones that are bright when I flip the switch.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
monkey

monkeystomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #2
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

R30 CFL Bulb Suggestions

Do you happen to still have the packaging the bulbs came in? If so, I'd check to see if they're labeled as being 'instant-on' bulbs. The term is a bit misleading as you already stated that the bulbs instantly come on when you flip the switch however, this term is actually supposed to refer to the warm up time. If you get bulbs that are labeled instant-on then you should not notice a difference in brightness from the time you flip the switch to 15 seconds later.

That reminds me of several years ago when one day, out of the blue, I went to the store and bought enough CFLs to replace all the lights in our house. Not until I was finished did I notice a delay from flipping the switch to having it turn on, in addition to the light becoming brighter in the first minute or so it is on. I didn't mind because I was saving about 75% on my lighting costs however when my wife got home that night she was when she had to wait half a second in every dark room she walked in to.

CFLs have improved greatly since then, but I'm not buying new ones 'til all these suckers bite the dust!

fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

R30 CFL Bulb Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post
CFLs have improved greatly since then, but I'm not buying new ones 'til all these suckers bite the dust!
That will not happen. Cfl's will go the way of 8 tracks long before you're happy with their performance.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 10:25 PM   #4
Always learning...

Rewards Points: 250

R30 CFL Bulb Suggestions

Actually I'm very satisfied with them, it was only my wife that had initial problems. I'm interested in these new LED bulbs however it seems companies are really struggling with the price and effectiveness of them. I bought one just for the heck of it ($12) and was pretty disappointed. Much too direct, might work for showcase purposes but very impractical for lighting a room, etc...

IMO, nothing beats a good old window/skylight.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

R30 CFL Bulb Suggestions

The LED's are going thru growing pains
There are different angles of illumination...direct to wide
But they are more directional then a CFL

We use them as under cabinet lights
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote