Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Question about refinishing a deck...

Hello,

My question is do I need to do anything other than power-washing my deck before refinishing it with Cabots Australian Timber Oil if it was previously treated with Thompson's??

Background: I build the deck two summers ago from pressure-treated lumber for the undercarriage and cedar for the planks (PVC railing). After I finished laying the decking planks, I rented a vibrating floor sander and sanded the whole deck and applied Thompson's Water Seal. It looked great for about three months then it began to gray and by the six month mark, it looked awful.

The deck would take forever to dry after a rain storm so I bought a squeegee and would squeegee the deck to dry it. I thought that squeegeeing the deck may have caused the Thompson's to wear off so I rented a floor sand the next spring, resanded and reapplied Thompson's. This time I didn't squeegee at all and the finish was shot in three months.

So I've decided that Thompson's is crap and I've decided to try Cabots Australian Timber Oil. I've also read that clear protectant, such as Thompson's, provides no UV protection, so maybe that was my fault for using an untinted product.

In any event, I power-washed my deck this weekend using just water. The wood looks great (not quite new but 90% better than it did) but water still beads on the surface.

So my question is will I have to sand again or will power-washing be sufficient to get a good finish using Cabot's?

Thanks.

Ler0y Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM   #2

Anyone?? A little help here...

Old 05-17-2010, 08:09 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

i know thompsons takes alot of re-apps not sure if you're going to find anything that will keep that pretty cedar look in direct sun. I would suggest calling cabots help line and see what they recommend, get the name of the person you talk to and write it down. then take that info to a Paint store that supplies caobot and run it by them also. good luck
Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #4

Thanks for the info... I think I'll do a test piece applying the stain over the area that I powerwashed... if that goes on well and doesn't cause any issues, I'll forgo the sanding. If I have issues, I'll suck it up and sand again.

Kevin
Old 05-19-2010, 09:09 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

You will need to chemically strip and neutralize your deck or go through the sanding process again. Thompsons is junk and unfortunately tends to cling to wood, so powerwashing along wont get rid of it.
I don't think the Cabot Timber Oil is a good choice either, since it is a clear and will also gray. I would suggust a semi-transparent oil stain. I use Armstrong Clark.
mattyhabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 AM   #6

I agree with the previous poster. Thompson's is indeed junk, but soaks into the wood so thoroughly that putting anything over top is problematic.

I used GemThane, which is a polymer-based coating instead of paint. It's got UV protection that's comparable to what's on your car's finish, so it essentially never fades. Goddamn miracle product. But mine went on virgin wood, so not sure if there'd be a problem with going over Thompson's.

Best of luck!
TrillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

This is the product I use, both on my cabin and all my decks. A little pricey, but hands down top notch for my usage. I use clear.

https://blairstowndistributors.com/page.asp?ID=602

mark942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:40 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000

Consumers Reports just published a deck report on solid stains. I'd look at that.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #9

Guy at a local Ace Hardware recently said to NEVER pressure wash a deck...whether wood or synthetic. I don't buy that. On the one hand ...going too heavy with pressure washing on a wood deck can remove wood fibers....I think if you don't go too heavy it can be fine. Ditto on a synthetic deck....think the guy was just trying to sell deck cleaner.
piste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:42 AM   #10

Piste, I can pressure wash my deck no problem. Because the wood is protected by a polymer coating (not paint), I can get as close as I want and blast dirt and bbq grease into oblivion! Hell, I even salt my deck in winter!
TrillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 AM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by piste View Post
Guy at a local Ace Hardware recently said to NEVER pressure wash a deck...whether wood or synthetic. I don't buy that. On the one hand ...going too heavy with pressure washing on a wood deck can remove wood fibers....I think if you don't go too heavy it can be fine. Ditto on a synthetic deck....think the guy was just trying to sell deck cleaner.
Sounds like the guy had a bad personal experience with improper deck cleaning (His own efforts, or he hired a hack to do it).

Pressure Washers are not "1 pressure-level equals all surface washing".

You dial down the pressure, generally with different pressure washer tips, to clean different surfaces.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Sounds like the guy had a bad personal experience with improper deck cleaning (His own efforts, or he hired a hack to do it).

Pressure Washers are not "1 pressure-level equals all surface washing".

You dial down the pressure, generally with different pressure washer tips, to clean different surfaces.
Could not agree more!! You can also manage the pressure by how close or far from the deck that you hold the wand.

piste is offline   Reply With Quote