Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 PM   #1
Prince George, BC

Rewards Points: 75

Question About Glass Block Spacers

Ok, so I've read almost every post on the web about how to install a glass block wall and how to grout it all together. What I *haven't* seen yet is any guideline referencing when to twist off the tabs of the plastic spacers.

I assume its done while the grout is somewhat still wet, so you can cover up the ends of the spacers with more grout??? But not so soon as to tear your project apart in the process of twisting them off, while the grout is still too wet??

I have never installed glass block, but I have all the supplies and am (finally) ready to do this. BTW, it's a (2) pony-wall topper for a shower. One wall section will be 3 blocks wide x 3 blocks high, and the other will be 8 blocks wide x 3 high.

Any pointers on this?

MisterPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #2
Prince George, BC

Anybody???

Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

I'd like to help you with this, but I've never used the "big box store" style of spacers. I've done a lot of GB work in my career, but I always get all material from a company that specializes in GB. The spacers they supply are far better than the perferated, twist-off style. They are big enough to support the block as well as be totally concealed.

I would recommend removing the excess spacer BEFORE the mort is ready to joint. BTW, if using the white GB mortar, make sure to use a plexiglass jointer so you don't burn the mortar.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The best way to do it is after you have all the wall up.Is this going to be inside a shower or a outside window? And how many what are the dimensions? And block size? Some states require the use of reinforcing straps on the bottom course and a reinforcing bar on windows with more than 3 courses. It kind of looks like a small set of railroad tracks. If you need any more info feel fee to ask me. I have done a bunch of them when I was setting tile in Fla. Just make sure first course in level and plumb. Take a break for a few hrs and let it cure good, then stack away , you want the mortar kind of thick like wet peanut butter but not runny or you will have air bubbles when it dries out good. And if you have some haze on the blocks after grouting just re=wipe with a damp sponge . If that doesnt get it all re-wash with water and a solution of 1cup of white vinegar per gallon of water. Hopefully that helps.
albert p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:25 AM   #5
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,366

I have the brick yard make up the window for me.

For a very small fee most brick yards will mortar the blocks together and wrap the assembly with a steel band.

What could be easier?---Mike--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #6
Prince George, BC

Just gonna pop in real quick here.... seems after weeks of searching and then posting here, I finally found the answer I was looking for.. right on Pittsburgh Corning's website...
jomama34 - just need to mention I didn't get these at the "big orange box" store... I tend to get all my products at pro locations... not only for the better products and advice, but I also always ask for builder pricing... and get it 95% of the time. In this case, I went through my local Steels Industrial ( www.steels.com ).

Here's the location of the instructions on PCs website - I hope someone else finds this as useful as I have http://www.pittsburghcorning.com/fla...II/default.asp

PS - Thanks to everyone for your input on this