A Question About Cabinet Knobs And Continuity... - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2009, 11:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

A question about cabinet knobs and continuity...

Hi everyone!

I just bought a condo, and I cannot wait to get in there and play!!! (I take possession in June). It is my first home purchase, and I am very new at the whole DIY thing. I could ask a million questions, but I am going to keep it at this for now:

In the kitchen, I am keeping the oak cabinets. Normally, I am not a fan of oak cabinets, but these ones are actually rather beautiful- large, flat paneled, Shaker style... a nice, rich, neutral (i.e. not too orange) colour, etc. However, I will be replacing the hideous pink countertop with a dark charcoal, and the old, white linoleum with charcoal tiles. Naturally, therefore, I will be going with the matte, black-ish oil-rubbed bronze cabinet pulls and knobs to tie it all together.

Meanwhile, in both of the bathrooms, there is more oak. Like, this place is just filled to the brim with oak cabinets! It is just a little too much oak for me to handle. I have decided I would like to sand and paint the bathroom cabinets a nice antiquey/ distressed black, leaving the white countertop and the white walls and sink, and put in some black and white floor tiles- checker style. With that look, I feel like a nice chrome or satin nickel knob would look good, but I am replacing my kitchen knobs with the oil rubbed bronze, and was planning on keeping the continuity throughout the whole place, replacing doorknobs and closet door knobs with the same style.

Do people "do" satin nickel in one room, oil rubbed bronze in the next? What are your thoughts/ opinions? (Should it matter this much to me? Ha ha. I might be a little obsessed... er, focused... at the moment....)

Thanks.

Julie

Advertisement

juliebun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:42 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

This is more of a personal taste issue vs. a right /wrong issue. As a remodeling contractor, I'm in 40+ houses a year and have never seen the setup you describe.
Maybe they're not as ....focused.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:57 AM   #3

What Ron said, this is strictly a personal issue. You can mix or match, your choice, just not in the same room, please. Different rooms in a house are often done with different themes.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #4

Ok thanks. I've never done this before so I keep questioning my own ideas and wondering if they are "acceptable" or not.... But I want satin nickel knobs in the bathroom, and so I shall have them.

But what kind of doorknob would I put on the door....? (I'm allowed to "focus". It's my first home!)
Old 05-06-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Door knobs don't have to match the cabinetry hardware. I have collected vintage door knobs that I find cool. Many of the doors in my house are different. For my own satisfaction I do match them in places that I have two doors right next to each other and where two doors open into one room.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliebun View Post
Ok thanks. I've never done this before so I keep questioning my own ideas and wondering if they are "acceptable" or not.... But I want satin nickel knobs in the bathroom, and so I shall have them.

But what kind of doorknob would I put on the door....? (I'm allowed to "focus". It's my first home!)
Many companies make dual finishes on their hardware. You can get one finish for the bath and another finish for the hall. Years ago the chrome/brass finish was popular.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:46 AM   #7

Awesome! I will keep a eye out for those. Thanks, Ron6519.

Advertisement