Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-01-2009, 04:01 PM   #1
Joel

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

PVC Sleeve for Volleyball Posts

I would like to set up a volleyball net on my backyard lawn. To make assembly and disassembly easier, I was thinking about putting two PVC pipes into the ground and capping them (when not in use). Of course I would make the PVC pipes flush with the soil so they won't interfere with mowing. I am thinking that about 24" in length would provide adequate support and I am trying to avoid digging big holes and cementing the PVC in place. Is there a good method for getting PVC pipe into the ground without destroying the pipes in the process? I will be using 2" diameter PVC. Any thoughts or help would be greatly appreciated.

jweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Remodeler

I'm not really clear from your description how you plan on constructing them. You're planning on make the vertical poles (about 8' high or whatever), and spanning the net in between them? I don't think PVC is strong enough. If someone were to run into the net, or spike, catch their hand on the net while in the air and tug the net down as they land, I would bet that the PVC supports/uprights would bend then snap. And PVC sort of shatters when it breaks, which would be very dangerous. I think metal or really beefy wood upright supports are the only safe and worth doing solution for a homemade setup.

adpanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #3

Correct on the pvc strength. Unless you can find something thick walled. It is also not very durable with exposure to sunlight although there are new types becoming more UV resistant. What you need is a 2" detachable laundry clothes rack anchor pole type set up and a 2" PVC cap when not in use.
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:33 AM   #4

No, what he wants to do us bury PVC sleeves in the ground
Then insert the volleyball poles down into the pvc sleeves to play
I think for stength you would need to encase the PVC in concrete
Propably not to the grass line
Paint the PVC caps green to blend in more
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #5

Agree on the concrete
If you paint the caps you can't find em. If you leave em white or gray you won't clip them with the mower, or stub your toes
Chemist1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:00 AM   #6
Joel

Question

Scuba DAve is correct - I want to bury two feet or so of PVC into the ground so that the top of the PVC is flush with the ground. Do you think that two feet of buried PVC will support a volleyball net without using concrete? To me it seems like it should and my question was only going to be how I get two feet of PVC into the ground. :-)
Old 09-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #7

Post hole digger to get the PVC in
As long as the PVC/ground is stronger then the poles it will work without cement
IE the poles would breake befor any significant pressure is placed on the PVC
Instead of cement you might use gravel & pound it down in with a sledge around the PVC - but not too hard

Sch 80 PVC is thicker
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:00 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

I think what you are doing will work using schedule 40 but the idea of using a cap may be the down fall of your plan. Instead of a cap use a length of something that fits inside the pvc and is heaver than water. Insert it into the buried pvc so it goes all the way to the bottom. When you pull it out you will have a hole to insert your poles into. If you use a cap it will tend to load up with dirt every time it rains.

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #9
Kap
Mowing my life away.

Water jet. Place the pvc on the ground and put a hose with a pressure nozzle in it. Push it to the ground while pushing the pvc in.

Warning-you might get a little dirty in the process.
Kap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #10
Joel

I was hoping to not have to dig holes at all. I also will probably have to cap the bottom of the PVC since otherwise, soil will just come up into the PVC as I "hammer" it into the ground. The water jet idea is interesting but probably won't work given the need to cap the bottom of the PVC. I was thinking about possibly using one of those root feeder poles to get the soil/subsoil moist and then just taking a sledgehammer along with perhaps a short piece of 2x6 on top of the PVC so I don't shatter the PVC with the hammer. I'm not sure if this will work. If I do end up needing to dig holes with a post hole digger, I will probably just end up cementing the PVC into the ground, but again, I a looking for a solution that might avoid more labor.