Pvc And Fittings - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Pvc and fittings

When looking for pvc and matching fittings do I buy 1" fittings to go with 1" pipes or do the fittings have to be larger than the 1" pipes. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but i"M trying to preorder all the pieces i need online so I dont have to hunt for them in store.

Advertisement

turtle_juice4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 PM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Pvc and fittings

Nope not stupid at all. But all the numbers will match up, size to size.

Advertisement

Willie T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #3

Pvc and fittings

Thank you!
Old 08-15-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Pvc and fittings

Not stupid. Intelligent. Stupid is making the mistake and then asking. Pipe is always measured by inside diameter. A 1" pipe is one inch inside. If you are using 1" schedule 40 PVC pipe, then a one inch schedule 40 fitting is sized to match.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Pvc and fittings

M-6 makes a good point about the schedule size. Please, even for sprinklers, don't go cheap and install any Schedule 20.

Many will tell you it's a waste of money to always use Schedule 40, but that good stuff will take strains and impacts that would shatter Schedule 20.

Sometimes, on rare occasion, I even use Schedule 80 (It's grey color).

Remember, "It only costs a nickel more to go first class."

BTW.... If you are thinking of air lines (Central vacuum type), then you should be looking at F2158 tubing. It's more like Schedule 20, but it's made to flow air, not water.

Last edited by Willie T; 08-16-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,704

Pvc and fittings

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle_juice4u View Post
i"M trying to preorder all the pieces i need online so I dont have to hunt for them in store.
imo, get them from the store. and buy much more that you think you need. and even pieces that you think you don't need. in my experience, things don't always fit how you think they should fit. so you have to change the plan. and having the pieces right there to do so is excellent ! i HATE running back to the store.

then, when you are done = just take back what you don't use.

am there, doing that, right now.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 694

Pvc and fittings

Actually the size is not the inside diameter.

It's a nominal size, not a measure of inside or outside diameters.

But yes, 1" PVC fitting will fit 1" PVC pipes.

For example, take a 2" PVC coupling, that coupling will work for both SCH 20, SCH 40 and SCH 80 pipes. That means in that case, the outer diameter is constant, and the inside diameters are different due to varying thicknesses due to being different schedules.

If you want the inside diameter to be the same, which is the case for a drain, you want to make sure you use drain fittings, and that ensures the inside flows smooth without any "steps". There are pressure fittings for supply lines and irrigation applications that do not have this characteristic.

I agree with the previous posters to get it at a store. You can see it, dry fit it, get more than you need, and return what's left over, ordering online for drain fittings unless it's truly specialized is a risk.
miamicuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #8
Old School

Pvc and fittings

Bear in mind that there are different pressure ratings for PVC tubing.

In 1" tubing, there are three different OD sizes, depending on the PSI rating, (they vary about .6" in diameter from biggest to smallest) with somewhat corresponding changes in ID. Also, the more pressure a tubing is rated for, the smaller the inside diameter will be when compared to others of the same nominal size, but lesser pressure rating. (I don't think any 1" PVC tubing is actually a true 1" ID)

But some sandpaper takes care of some of this if you find yourself in a bind.

Basically, hand fit your fittings to be sure they fit (at the store), and don't mix pressure ratings.

Last edited by Willie T; 08-16-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,684

Pvc and fittings

Agree with buy them in store. After you pay shipping online and have to wait on delivery any savings would be gone. It's very rare to do plumbing and have everything you need in the first shot.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #10

Pvc and fittings

I am merely using this for a green house frame. nothing bearing any more weight than the plastic that covers it. It would be cool to make the frame part of the watering system though!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,222

Pvc and fittings

I'd never buy plumbing fittings off the internet. They are readily available in any big box store, don't cost much, and leftovers are easily returnable. That said LOL, I have a large box of leftovers from when I built my house three years ago that I've never bothered to return. Many are as large as 4", so there's more than just a couple of bucks involved. Even so, it's not worth even the small hassle to me; who knows when I might need one of them LOL.

Pay attention when buying fittings. PVC and CPVC fittings are not interchangeable.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote