Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #1

Share |
Lightbulb

PVC Boards

Is there any one that can give me names of the best caulk and putty for AZEK or TREX PVC boards? I search and Google about the Glues, to avoid pay more for the AZEK brand, but no luck.All that i found was no water clean up, so painting afterwords would be a problem. Any advice on the subject? Thanks!
Salema1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
remodeling pro

PVC Boards

You can use ordinary plumbers pvc cement; the Azek prodeuct claims to have a longer working time, but I never really saw that much difference.

As for caulking, we only use a urethane based product (not silicone). There are several manufactures, so see which brand you can get at your local vinyl siding/replacement window supplier; this is what they use to install vinyl replacment windows. However it is solvent based, so no water cleanup. IMO, there is not a water based caulking out there that I think is worth using with a long term product like Azek. Our painter uses ordinary painter's putty on nails (we use only stainless in Azek), primes everything with the recommended xylene based primer, and topcoats with only top of the line 100% acrylic Benjamin Moore or Sherwin Williams. It doesn't make any sense to me to put a cheap finish on a product like Azek...pretty much defeats the low maintainence purpose of the Azek.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troubleseeker For This Useful Post:
Tom Struble (08-13-2011)
Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #3

PVC Boards

Thanks!
Salema1960 is offline   Reply With Quote