Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #1

Share |

Putting a window fan in the attic - fire hazard?

Can putting an electrical window fan in an attic cause a house fire? I hung mine from some wire right in front of one the side vents to blow out the hot hair. The fan really helps, but I'm not sure if it has a thermal cutoff or not, or if it would heat up in the event of motor failure. Any opinions on this?

Thanks
Alcyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

It will run either until you flip off the switch or breaker downstairs, or when the motor burns up, or the plug end of the extension cord gets too hot. Which in turn I hope you like guys and gals in breakout gear, and nice pretty Red or Yellow trucks carrying big hoses.

You really only need to keep the windows open if there is no venting up there. As for insulation in the attic, to help keep the living space below cool or hot in the winter, is there any?

As for fans with thermal cutoffs, you can buy the cutoffs separate without buying the attic power ventilator. A Power vent for a attic runs around $90 at the most.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 PM   #3

Or install ridge vents and never need a fan with a motor on it again.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

The old fashioned wind turbine air extractors work fairly well too. There are also electric generating ridge vent and fan combinations that not only extract hot air from the attic but provide electricity.

The only problem with open vents or turbines is they stay open in a fire and can create draft to fuel flames.

As mentioned, an attic fan with heat cut-off will not set you back that much and you can hard wire it properly. Running a box fan plugged into an extension cord might work but is dangerous. It is a classic example of the wrong tool for the job.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote