Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Share |

putting stone on walkout basement

Ok so I am putting up limestone full thickness..on walkout basement..my question is what I do around the 2 windows and door frame to seal them properly.

Stone is tumbled limestone..real stone, not thin cut.. any help?

chulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:37 AM   #2
Concrete & Masonry

First, you want to have the wood wall sealed as tight as possible before laying the stone, as the stone will not be leak free. As for the asthetic approach to sealing around the window, choose some stone with good edges for the window jamb. You will literally "slug" mortar tight to the backwall at the jambs to seal it off. Normally, you want/need to retain a 1" airspace minimum behind the stone, but at windows you don't have that option. I would also recommend keeping your mortar & stone off of the windows about a 1/4", as many windows require so much to operate properly long term.

jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #3

jomama45,

thanks for the info! IF i accidently got the mortar right up to the window jam on the botttom while placing stone will that make a huge difference?

On both sides of the window sills, I have gaps that I need to fill in between the stones and the wood..I understand expansion and contraction of wood, My question is, do I fill the gaps with mortar and leave 1/4 inch gap on both sides...if I do, do I need to apply a sealer like dap premium concrete sealer? I dont want the windows jambing up!

One more question..Im going to put the limestone all away around the home 4 feet up..it will abut cedar siding..do I need to put a capstone on the wall where it meets the cedar siding? Is is necessary or just for asthetics?
Old 06-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
Concrete & Masonry

Quote:
Originally Posted by chulett View Post
jomama45,

thanks for the info! IF i accidently got the mortar right up to the window jam on the botttom while placing stone will that make a huge difference?

Probably not, but I would at least use your trowel or filler to scape out a small gap before the mortar is totally set.

On both sides of the window sills, I have gaps that I need to fill in between the stones and the wood..I understand expansion and contraction of wood, My question is, do I fill the gaps with mortar and leave 1/4 inch gap on both sides...if I do, do I need to apply a sealer like dap premium concrete sealer? I dont want the windows jambing up!

"Jambed windows" are definatley a concern due to swelling. You could probably get down to as little as an 1/8" gap depending on window material. As for the gap, no sealer, just a quality caulk.

One more question..Im going to put the limestone all away around the home 4 feet up..it will abut cedar siding..do I need to put a capstone on the wall where it meets the cedar siding? Is is necessary or just for asthetics?
Yes, a sill of some sort is mandatory IMO. Bedford stone sills, natural stone sills, or brick "rowlocks" are all common solutions. Install with a minimum 15 degree pitch away from the house and at least a 1" overhang. I would also suggest slipping an aluminum flashing under the cedar siding that will extend over the sill for the best long term protection.
jomama45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #5

Thanks again for the advice...there are many types of caulks out there...what do you recommend?