Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-07-2009, 06:21 AM   #1

Share |

putting cable lines on wall with faceplates.

I would like to put all my cable lines on the walls in the house with faceplates anyone have some good ideas on how to do it and or pics would help. It looks so crappy right now cables lines coming through the floor sitting in the rooms. I want to put them in the walls and clean it up. Thanks.
bowanna03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 06:29 AM   #2

Do you have access below the floor? If so, you can cut the box and drill down with something like this:
http://www.mygreenlee.com/Products/m...c_number=38350
jerryh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 07:58 AM   #3

2 floors I have access to down stairs but not upstairs. where would I mark to go through the floors and how to know where to put hole in wall.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

The ones you have access to from below, if they are carpeted you can pound a long trim nail threw the carpeted floor about 2" from the wall in the location you want your box. Go to the basement and find your nail and measure over about 4" and drill up. This should put you in the wall cavity. Use a cut in box or they make a low voltage cut on ring, it's a box with no back on it. Don't forget to pull the nail out. If the floors are not carpeted you will need to find some other way to measure and drill up or use the drill bit mentioned by previous poster. I have one and use it a lot. Just cut the hole for your box and stick the drill bit in and down to the sill plate of the wall and start drilling. Go downstairs and find the drill bit and they have a hole on the end of the bit you can attach the wire to and pull the wire up with the drill bit.

As far as the floors that you don't have access from below, how are the cables run now?
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 AM   #5

from my daughters bedroom along the baseboards to and through the walls to all the other rooms but the cable company drilled through the front of the house and siding and into the room that was before I moved in.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #6

I love when I see how cable companies just pull out a drill and poke holes in wherever to run the cable as easy for them as possible.

Fishing wires in walls can be tricky. It will take some work and some skills in order to figure out whats in the walls and the best way to fish the wires. I would suggest buying a flexable drill bit made by green lee. They are about 4 feet long. You can cut a hole in the middle of the wall on the first floor and drill up threw the foor of the second floor and then down threw the first floor into the basement and then patch the hole.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote