Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #1

Share |
Talking

A Public Service Annoucement

I'm here as a hopefully some what humorous public service announcement...

I spent all week searching and reading various forums on the internet researching all the wonderful projects I'm going to do with my upcoming 4 day weekend. I've planned every detail, and made up lists, charts and graphs.

One of my plans was to get all the materials tonight so that I can be ready to tear into the work tomorrow!

In the process I managed to learn a few new lessons and thought I'd share them--

First let me say that since I was buying so much stuff, and several sheet goods items, I decided ahead of time to buy everything I could possibly need and rent the Home Depot van to get it all home, which I've done several times in the past.

Lesson #1 -- When your new vehicle registration arrives, the correct place to store it is the glove compartment of the car, not your "IN" pile of mail on the kitchen counter

Lesson #2 -- Home Depot will NOT rent you their van if your registration is expired, not even if you've rented it 10X before including just 4 days prior, even if your registration "just" expired and even if you promise to bring it back with you when you return the van...no exceptions!

Lesson #3 -- You can fit A LOT into a 2000 Chevy Blazer!
- Porter Cable 6G air compressor
- Homer 5G bucket
- Two saw plastic saw horses
- Dewalt table saw stand
- Seven 1/4" sheets of Hardibaker
- About 7 plastic bags crammed with materials and tools
- The entire metal frame of a 6' long industrial bench you got for a song on Craigslist this past weekend and really should take out of the back...
- The 6' long by 1.5" thick table top that there is no way you could possible move by yourself for said industrial bench...
- Several halogen work lights
- ...and three 4x8 sheets of 15/32 BC plywood hanging 3' out the back

Lesson #4 -- Remember how 5 weeks ago you started hearing the belt screech when you started your Blazer? ...and so you went the next morning to buy a new belt and said to yourself: "Self, boy you sure are smart! You're going to buy this belt and change it yourself to save money!"? Yeah, well next time make sure you actually install that belt because it turns out that belts love to break while you're hauling plywood home in an unsafe manner about 5 weeks later.

Lesson #5 -- When your "CHECK GAGES" (inside joke to all GM truck owners) light comes on and you're overheating, the side of the road can be an excellent place to unload plywood, hardibacker, several halogen work lights, dewalt saw stand, porter cable air compressor, and several other items you've been hauling around at $3.50/gallon, while you try to find your new belt which is "in here somewhere"...

Lesson #6 -- The police apparently CAN ask for your license and registration if you happen to be in the process of learning Lesson #5

Lesson #7 -- Giving honest answers to the police when they ask questions is good, but there's no need to give answers to questions they don't ask... So after the policeman has finished checking off your list of violations: "No current registration? Can't find your license? (even though "you JUST had it in your hand!") Unsecured plywood and tailgate?"... don't say "...and I know the inspection sticker is expired too, but I swear I made an appointment for it next week!"... because it turns out that they have no idea when your inspection expired, it has nothing to do with your registration, and he didn't even notice...

Lesson #8 -- Some police are nice guys, they won't ticket you despite all you've done wrong, and they'll even hold their flashlight while you change your belt! ...but they aren't nice enough to help you re-load your stuff

Lesson #8 -- It turns out your license was in your back pocket this whole time!

bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Learning by Doing

Sounds like you've had a bad day. Glad there was a little bit of a happy end.

Always check your back pocket. I keep all sorts of things there I can never find.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
Tileguy

LMAO!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

OMG..what a freakin adventure.
ferris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:42 PM   #5

If you find yourself looking to upgrade the 2000 blazer and can't justify a pickup truck for whatever reason, 4X8 sheet material- drywall, OSB etc. lay perfectly flat in the pre 2008 Dodge and Chrysler minivans with the seats removed. They probably also fit in the post 2008 models which have stow and go seats standard but I've never oned one to try it.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM   #6
nap
You talking to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leah Frances View Post
Sounds like you've had a bad day. Glad there was a little bit of a happy end.

Always check your back pocket. I keep all sorts of things there I can never find.
well, he didn't get any of the possible 3 or 4 tickets he could have been issued.

Overall, I would consider that a good outcome.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:08 PM   #7

"don't say '...and I know the inspection sticker is expired too, but I swear I made an appointment for it next week!'... because it turns out that they have no idea when your inspection expired, it has nothing to do with your registration, and he didn't even notice"

An expired inspection NEVER goes unnoticed by the cops around here.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:11 PM   #8

Bubbler,

That was wicked funny!
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #9

Funny stuff! I've had similar experiences. It's tough being a part time DIY'er without truck access...
koz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:26 AM   #10

LMAO!!! At least your an honest hard working guy and there is somehting to be said for the law enforcement with this story.
gmhammes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:43 AM   #11
Experienced

Great light hearted story, glad you have the time and sense of humor to share it with us.

Mark
Old 03-04-2011, 12:05 PM   #12

Thank you for sharing; goes to show that fact is still funnier than fiction. We've probably all fallen victim to some of those events, but they're a bit easier to deal with one at a time, rather than in sequence. You surely didn't offer to buy him a donut, after he let you go, did you?
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbler View Post
I'm here as a hopefully some what humorous public service announcement...

I spent all week searching and reading various forums on the internet researching all the wonderful projects I'm going to do with my upcoming 4 day weekend. I've planned every detail, and made up lists, charts and graphs.

One of my plans was to get all the materials tonight so that I can be ready to tear into the work tomorrow!

In the process I managed to learn a few new lessons and thought I'd share them--

First let me say that since I was buying so much stuff, and several sheet goods items, I decided ahead of time to buy everything I could possibly need and rent the Home Depot van to get it all home, which I've done several times in the past.

Lesson #1 -- When your new vehicle registration arrives, the correct place to store it is the glove compartment of the car, not your "IN" pile of mail on the kitchen counter

Lesson #2 -- Home Depot will NOT rent you their van if your registration is expired, not even if you've rented it 10X before including just 4 days prior, even if your registration "just" expired and even if you promise to bring it back with you when you return the van...no exceptions!

Lesson #3 -- You can fit A LOT into a 2000 Chevy Blazer!
- Porter Cable 6G air compressor
- Homer 5G bucket
- Two saw plastic saw horses
- Dewalt table saw stand
- Seven 1/4" sheets of Hardibaker
- About 7 plastic bags crammed with materials and tools
- The entire metal frame of a 6' long industrial bench you got for a song on Craigslist this past weekend and really should take out of the back...
- The 6' long by 1.5" thick table top that there is no way you could possible move by yourself for said industrial bench...
- Several halogen work lights
- ...and three 4x8 sheets of 15/32 BC plywood hanging 3' out the back

Lesson #4 -- Remember how 5 weeks ago you started hearing the belt screech when you started your Blazer? ...and so you went the next morning to buy a new belt and said to yourself: "Self, boy you sure are smart! You're going to buy this belt and change it yourself to save money!"? Yeah, well next time make sure you actually install that belt because it turns out that belts love to break while you're hauling plywood home in an unsafe manner about 5 weeks later.

Lesson #5 -- When your "CHECK GAGES" (inside joke to all GM truck owners) light comes on and you're overheating, the side of the road can be an excellent place to unload plywood, hardibacker, several halogen work lights, dewalt saw stand, porter cable air compressor, and several other items you've been hauling around at $3.50/gallon, while you try to find your new belt which is "in here somewhere"...

Lesson #6 -- The police apparently CAN ask for your license and registration if you happen to be in the process of learning Lesson #5

Lesson #7 -- Giving honest answers to the police when they ask questions is good, but there's no need to give answers to questions they don't ask... So after the policeman has finished checking off your list of violations: "No current registration? Can't find your license? (even though "you JUST had it in your hand!") Unsecured plywood and tailgate?"... don't say "...and I know the inspection sticker is expired too, but I swear I made an appointment for it next week!"... because it turns out that they have no idea when your inspection expired, it has nothing to do with your registration, and he didn't even notice...

Lesson #8 -- Some police are nice guys, they won't ticket you despite all you've done wrong, and they'll even hold their flashlight while you change your belt! ...but they aren't nice enough to help you re-load your stuff

Lesson #8 -- It turns out your license was in your back pocket this whole time!

You had a bad hair day.
robut

robut is offline   Reply With Quote