Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-12-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
1921 Sears&Robuc

Rewards Points: 75

Proud to be a Do-It-MySelf'er.... Off the wall post! Sorry!

I started early in life learning how to do things for myself, knowing I would never be in a situation to be able to afford the finer things in life, not going to be able to afford to pay someone to do things for me, or even have better things in life! But I am very happy with what I got and being a do it yourselfer! The pride and self recognition for doing things myself just strives me to my fullest! I like nothing more then being able to do something then brag to wife/family about how much money we saved had we had to of paid someone to do the same job! Nothing better then when family or friends (sometimes strangers) come around to my wifes and my() place and thier jaw drops in aww of how nice something looks, and the quality of the work performed, Even better is when the individuals ask who I hired to do the work for me, and then I get to proceed to tell them I did it! And most of all of them will continue to stand their in disbelief and aww! Thats a great feeling in my book!

I wonder what does it feel like to buy everything new, or hire a contractor to do something for me? Besides having welding work done(which I need to learn how to do) I dont hire anyone to do anything for me beyond the normal things that can't be avoided(tire changers(dont have a machine), auto glass installers(free with purchase of glass), computer techs,) Well you get my point, about hiring people to do things for you!
Heck I could of wound up like my brother went away to the army at 18, and returned at 29 not even knowing how to change the oil in his car!!! Can you believe that! For that matter he wasnt even very skilled at putting his own gas in his car when he returned home! He claims to of used full service stations close to his base, and he hardly ever even pumped his own gas!
When the day arises that I wake and not learn anything before I return to bed then I do hope to never waken again, as I wish not to ever know everything! So when the day comes that I finally know everything there is no longer a need to wake up, as thats what I live for "Learning"

Hey if you enjoyed this thread then feel free to respond, or even tell your Do-It-Yourself'er stories!! As I am sure others would like to read your stories aswell as I!

My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
MrShadetree0222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 09:36 PM   #2
1921 Sears&Robuc

Thumbs down

Wow 33 views and not a single person proud of their do-it-theirself ability? Ok well sorry I even threw this post out thier, I just figured this would be a hot, conversational thread.

My house, a 1921 Sears-Robuk 1 1/2 story 4 bedroom, 2 bath 1975 sqr ft house! Ordered March 1921, delivered via: railcar 1922, assembled October 1922! Ignorance is not having the knowledge of', Stupidity is having the knowledge of' and not using it!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502

Do you expect accolades for doing what billions do with no expectation of anything other than satisfaction? Our nation and civilization itself were founded on the concept of personal responsibility and ability. We are human, and rational, and inventive, industrious, and capable.

Congratulations and salutations!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:18 PM   #4
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscarborough View Post
Do you expect accolades for doing what billions do with no expectation of anything other than satisfaction? Our nation and civilization itself were founded on the concept of personal responsibility and ability. We are human, and rational, and inventive, industrious, and capable.

Congratulations and salutations!
Well I guess you set me straight huh?
I wasnt looking for a pat on the back, but I was looking to get a conversational thing going. Maybe an oppurtunity to be able to meet new friends on here, and what a better way then to find people doing the same things I am doing! My apologies for being friendly.
I still got to get this internet concept thing down , and realize that most folks in this country wasnt raised the way I was, and being friendly isnt always the best option! So my apologies for the way I was raised!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:46 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I've always believed that a motivated DIY'er is better than a "pro" that doesn't take pride in his work. Unfortunately, there are too many of them aounfd these days.
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:04 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

I get more satisfaction from helping others with their projects than I do from doing my own work on my own house. Many of my friends have learned to lay out walls, place concrete, solder, and change light fixtures because I have forced them to learn to do it by working with me as opposed to sitting there while I do it. I get some satisfaction by saving my friends and family the cost of paying a plumber to change out a water heater, for instance. I get some satisfaction from helping people here (online) as well, although it isn't the same as driving to the 24 hour Home Depot with a friend to get copper fittings to replace the leaking ones in his basement. He was so scared to "weld" pipe he was practically shaking...Now he's not afraid to try minor repairs around his house without me standing there helping him.

When helping a friend and his wife build a deck a few years back, I nicknamed my friend "desk job" because he was pretty useless when it came to hammering and using the screw gun. His wife still calls him desk job whenever I am around, or whenever he does anything repair-related around the house.

I have one rule with my friends and family. If I give you home improvement or repair advice, take it. If you don't...Don't call me when something doesn't work the way you wanted it to. That rule has been broken a few times, and my response is not sympathetic! I guess I apply it online as well.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

No.. this is a good idea for a thread.. Don't let anybody tell ya different.

Fact is, I was such a good DIY'er folks started to offer me money to do it for them. There is no greater blessing than being happy in your work.

Very fine line in pride of your accomplishments... and some of those seven deadly things....

Read Ecclesiastes chapter 1 (the whole thing).. the rest of the (chapter)book ain't bad either.

A wise man learns from the mistakes of others, a smart man learns from his own mistakes.

Stupid is, as stupid does... Life is like a box of chocolates.. you never know what you're going to get.... " Forest Gump"

Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:07 AM   #8
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
No.. this is a good idea for a thread.. Don't let anybody tell ya different.
Thank you!

Read Ecclesiastes chapter 1 (the whole thing).. the rest of the (chapter)book ain't bad either.
Not sure what this is? Could you elaborate?
A wise man learns from the mistakes of others, a smart man learns from his own mistakes.
Very good saying!
Stupid is, as stupid does... Life is like a box of chocolates.. you never know what you're going to get.... " Forest Gump"
Hated this film so much i loved it!
Thank you for the responce!
Old 10-13-2008, 01:14 AM   #9

Ecclesiastes...

The Bible (the Book) {the number one best seller every year since they started keeping track} is composed of 66 books. Between Proverbs and the Song of Solomon in the Old Testament you will find Ecclesiastes. The author is believed to be King Solomon son of David and Bathsheba. It is widely believed that God granted Solomon the wonderful gift of great wisdom.

One of the best reference and rule books around.
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Hey Big Bob, That there Bible is one good book, I'll have to agree.

MrShadetree, I am the same person you described in your first post.
I remember when I was a kid my Dad had given me a task, don't remember now what it was as it has been -- oh well lets just say a few years. He ask why I hadn't compleated the task and I replied , I can't.
His next remark has lived with me from that day until today. " Boy, CAN'T don't live here."
Rodland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 502

Sorry, I was not being unfriendly, just a bit sarcastic. The ability to do things around the home used to be such a basic concept that few other than the very rich would even consider hiring someone to replace a door or build a walkway for them. I would guess it was after WWII that we became consumers of services as well as products, and this led to the disconnect between home owner and home maintainer.

There have always been handymen and contractors, but their niche markets have expanded from helping little old ladies and building complete houses to doing routine maintenance and small projects that are well within the skill set of casual homeowners.

At any rate, keep it up! I enjoy answering questions that show at least a modicum of willingness to learn, but refuse to suffer those who want to be lead through the process step by step.

Research the task before hand, then you will have the knowledge to ask the proper questions. THAT, my friends is how you get quick and accurate assistance on DIY boards!
Old 10-15-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
home improvement guru

Being a DIYer is such a great feeling, I completely agree. Even if it's something small you can take pride in the fact that you aren't like so many Americans that simply don't try. Even when problems arise and small projects turn into huge ones, when you're finally finished that feeling simply can't be beat.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 10-25-2008 at 07:06 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Business Web link Removed
aaron.klimchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:29 PM   #13

[quote=aaron.klimchuk;172610]Being a DIYer is such a great feeling, I completely agree. Even if it's something small you can take pride in the fact that you aren't like so many Americans that simply don't try.

My sister (and helpless / useless brother in law) just called to ask if I could come over this weekend and replace the doorknob that came off....they live 80 miles away!
Gevans17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #14

Well it does have it's moments though...

Father In-Law called this past Thursday, "I'll be shingling (his daughter's garage) this weekend, just thought I'd let you know."

RIGHT...the man has no need to be on a steep little garage roof...no need what-so-ever. So Friday evening, when he was going to start, I hurried out of work...and went to intercept at the take-off stage, to keep him from the roof. Mission accomplished...saved him from the roof...ended up shingling the roof with my wife, the only one that would get on the deck w/ me.

Saturday night my wife leans over and says "don't you hate having the tools and knowledge to do all this stuff?" I said yes and no....yes that it's sometimes a killer of my plans and sometimes you get "roped" into helping when you maybe didn't plan on it...and no in that I get to help someone else that doesn't have a clue of where to begin or how to proceed. So I guess it's a wash...besides it goes a LONG way to build strong bonds with family...and that is a good thing.
Old 10-15-2008, 10:42 PM   #15
1921 Sears&Robuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bob View Post
Ecclesiastes...

The Bible (the Book) {the number one best seller every year since they started keeping track} is composed of 66 books. Between Proverbs and the Song of Solomon in the Old Testament you will find Ecclesiastes. The author is believed to be King Solomon son of David and Bathsheba. It is widely believed that God granted Solomon the wonderful gift of great wisdom.

One of the best reference and rule books around.

We currently dotn have one in our residense but i will surely pick myself up one, when we get the funds, to head to town.