Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Protecting timber floors during renovation

Hi, I'm renovating my bathroom at the moment and will have to transport debris from the demolition through my place which has finished timber floors. I'm wondering the best way to protect the floors from scratches during this work?

Thanks for any advice.

JakeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

If you are using hired help, you will need max protection, if not, less so.

You could get a roll of 36" wide Red Rosin paper from the Paint store. That helps but
if something heavy gets dropped, does not provide bump protection . Covering the rosin paper with strips of old carpet would be a big help.

I would search the alley behind a big carpet store. My local carpet store always has new carpet cut offs piled up behind the store.

PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 06:34 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,910

First- roll out some rosin paper--then lay Masonite or 1'4 " luan on top. Tape it together with gray tape.

Do not use any tape of any kind on the wood floor itself. Even the blue painters tape sometimes damages the finish.

If the work is not all that messy--look at rug runners--sold by the foot in the carpet dept.

--Mike--

Edit: Bob has a good suggestion with the used carpet! If you are going to use that without paper--use it upside down---

The back of a carpet will scratch the floor finish.

Last edited by oh'mike; 04-20-2010 at 06:38 AM.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
remodeling pro

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
--Mike--

Edit: Bob has a good suggestion with the used carpet! If you are going to use that without paper--use it upside down---
The back of a carpet will scratch the floor finish.
Even if using the carpet, be sure to lay the paper first and tape the seams. Dust and fine grit will filter right throught the carpet and act like sandpaper under the carpet. I prefer something that can take a hit from a dropped tool or chunk of trash, so I like laun(least favorite because the seams don't stay taped long term), masonite(smooth sideup for taping), or sheets of drywall (good side down, so you can use some of the pieces if needed)
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Tool Geek

Rewards Points: 2,048

My local yard carries Ram Board

More expensive than rosin paper, but much more impact protection.

http://www.ramboard.com/
PaliBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 150

I'll add one more vote for 1/4" masonite. Make a decent sized runway and tape the seams.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Do not spill ANY water on red rosin paper as it WILL bleed. Mask the whole floor with brown paper taping all seams and spot taping center. Lay door skins and tape continuously to paper and all seams in travel area to keep out any particles from underneath. Add folded tape (1/2) high) at border edges of travel skins to keep dirt contained there with daily sweeping.

Be safe, Gary
Old 04-24-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I'm a remodeler and this is what I do- go to the local grocery and ask for a bunch of cardboard. They will usually give you all you want for free. Then put it on your floor and tape all the seams and edges. And I mean the whole floor. All of it. Don't get lazy or stingy with the tape.

Then go to the local carpet store and ask for a bunch of old carpet samples. Sometimes they'll give them to you, sometimes you have to pay for them, but it's usually only like 25 cents or so. Get thick knapped samples if you can, they trap more debris. Line your major walkways and work areas with these.

When your done, throw the samples away, sweep off the cardboard, then throw that away too. Your floor should be just fine. I've been doing it this way for years and never have a problem.

eisert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damage, protecting, renovation, timber floors