Protecting Art - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 03:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Protecting Art

Hi folks, new member here. Great forum - I've been impressed by the amount of knowledge and information that you all seem to have here.

My wife and I are art-lovers, and we have some good art in our home (including a recent Andy Warhol acquisition).

We recently purchased a new house, and we have been considering moving some of our paintings from the security locker and displaying them in the house. However, even though the art is insured, I am still worried about art-theft, given how the vast majority are residential thefts in the US.

We've been looking at frames that are attached to the walls, with a simple proximity alarm, but that is about it.

I was wondering if folks here had some tips on steps to mitigate art theft? Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisement

Metlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,278

Protecting Art

Ayuh,... I'd go with a Whole House security system,...

something like ADT or something...

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #3

Protecting Art

Thank you, Bondo. We have ADT, and were planning on going with their home security and video surveillance packages. I've personal misgivings on their effectiveness, because their security is still "after the fact" in that they are not theft deterrent.

Do you have any thoughts on theft deterrence (i.e. making it difficult for people to take the pieces off the walls)?

Cheers.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Protecting Art

I've used this type of picture hanging hardware in a commercial office before... where you don't want the pictures to fall off the wall.

http://www.salinepictureframe.com/sh...anger-systems/

(AKA "T-lock system", "hotel picture hangers", "locking picture hangers", "art lock", "T screw locking system")

It would work well to deter theft of your art, assuming they wern't a pro and had the special wrench with them. I would imagine any good hardware store or a custom framing store would have them.
daveplot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Protecting Art

Unless it is strictly for an investment, there is not much point in owning art that you cannot enjoy. Unfortunately, most likely anyone interested in stealing fine art is a pro. Something unsophistcated is hardly going to slow them down. I'd suggest you try asking an art dealer for a recommendation for a security company that specializes in gallery security, both hard and soft.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 AM   #6

Protecting Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveplot View Post
I've used this type of picture hanging hardware in a commercial office before... where you don't want the pictures to fall off the wall.

http://www.salinepictureframe.com/sh...anger-systems/

(AKA "T-lock system", "hotel picture hangers", "locking picture hangers", "art lock", "T screw locking system")

It would work well to deter theft of your art, assuming they wern't a pro and had the special wrench with them. I would imagine any good hardware store or a custom framing store would have them.
Thank you. Most of my frames are museum frames, so they come with a similar mounting system. Unfortunately, unless you've drilled the frame into the wall, it is fairly easy to remove them from dry or brick walls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
Unless it is strictly for an investment, there is not much point in owning art that you cannot enjoy. Unfortunately, most likely anyone interested in stealing fine art is a pro. Something unsophistcated is hardly going to slow them down. I'd suggest you try asking an art dealer for a recommendation for a security company that specializes in gallery security, both hard and soft.
I was afraid of that. I was hoping for a fun DIY project, but I may just talk to someone in the art industry for pointers. Oh well. Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:15 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Protecting Art

You could build a box (perhaps from oak) and put a lexan pane in it. Mount the whole thing to the wall with concealed screws and fill the heads with expoy.

It wouldn't be impossible to remove, but it would slow people down. Casual thieves (the kind just looking for a quick buck) will take what they can get easily.
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

Protecting Art

I have worked for art galleries since a youngun, owned part of one in SoHo for a time and have been over this many times. The fact of the matter is the average home burglar can get in and out of a home within the time allowed to normally deactivate the alarm. They are not going to spend the time stealing art and with a good central alarm. They know they just do not have the time to fuss with it. And crack heads would have a hard time even knowing where to fence a nice piece. As mentioned, if you are worried about a pro getting at you get over it. If they want it, it is gone with a buyer lined up. They will just cut it out of the frame you anchored to the wall if they have to do so! I would register the more expensive pieces in addition to insuring them as a deterrent to anybody fencing them. Then hang them and try to enjoy them without worrying too much. In all the years, none of the galleries I have worked for have ever been ripped off save for little ceramic pieces. I don't know of a client who has had art stolen.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote