Proper Tools To Cut Granite Slab? - General DIY Discussions - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > DIY Repair > General DIY Discussions

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 154

Proper tools to cut granite slab?

Hello,

What are the proper tools that one needs to cut a granite countertop? Edges and sink opening?

Can I use a circular saw with a diamond blade for the edges and an angle grinder for the opening? All while keeping the slab wet?

Advertisement

llckll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

If you can afford it, toss the countertop in the truck and take it to a stone shop. It will save you a lot of aggravation. Once you get the edges trimmed, you are still going to have to polish them and so forth if they are on the edge that is going to show. You could easily spend what it will cost to have a stone shop do this for you just in blades and abrasives. And you may not be happy with the results.

You might be able to pull off your project with the tools mentioned and high end diamond blades but they really are not built for it and a circular saw and water are not good things to mix together. Do be sure you have GCFI protection on the circuit the tools will plug into if you attempt this. Buy such a device for the end of the cord if there is no such outlet near.

You might be able to rent tools more appropriate but again by the time you do that and still buy blades and abrasives, the stone shop will have had the project done for you. Probably for less money.

Advertisement

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
the stone shop will have had the project done for you. Probably for less money.
Might want to leave it to the pro's.... They will probably guarantee their work. If purchasing or using any tools required for the job and a mistake is made its will be taken from their wallet, not yours.

Please do not put advertising links in your signature
ryecandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 AM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 75

I used to work for a guy flipping houses who was not a stone pro, but he did his own counter tops.

That said, he bought finished counter depth slabs and devised layouts that kept the work within his skill set. Back then he limited himself to end cuts and holes for top mount sinks, so he didn't create any exposed cut edges.

I think later on he ended up buying the rest of the gear and began to specialize in it.

So I have seen a semi-pro pull it off, but, if you need to create beveled edges or smooth corners, or have really high expectations, I am with the other responders to the thread, and think you might want to consider sending it out.

Good luck,

Rory

RDG Read Development LLC
Portland, OR
Rory Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

There's a shop here that uses a fine stream of water for cutting granite. Apparently he got his machine in Italy or something like that. These guys have all the right tools. Even if you buy some at the home store, you're still going to come up short. Not saying you can't do it, but like stated previously, you're going to probably have more headache than it's worth.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:03 AM   #6
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

You need the right tools. It's not just about cutting, you need the tools to do the edging (properly) and stone polishing.

My Opinion: Have it done professionally.

Alternatively: You can attempt to do it with inadequate tools, and = ruin the granite slab.

Advertisement